Creamy baked cauliflower with pasta has surprise pockets of cheese with a crunchy topping that is comfort food at it’s best. A bit of lemon and capers add just the right touch.
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Add water to a large pot and add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain and put pasta in a large bowl.
3. In a 12 inch skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute a layer of cauliflower tossing occasionally until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and add additional oil and remaining cauliflower. Add cooked cauliflower to bowl with the pasta.
4. Add Sage, capers, garlic, lemon Zest, red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper to the bowl. Stir to combine. Add fontina and transfer half of the mixture to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spoon ricotta onto the mixture by tablespoons and then spoon the remaining pasta over the ricotta.
5. In a small bowl, combine panko pecorino, parsley and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.