- 3–4 pounds pork shoulder, untrimmed, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease/lard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 whole bulb garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 limes lime juice
- 4 bay leaves
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Put bacon grease in the bottom of a large oven proof pot with lid. Put onions and garlic in next. Add meat and then remaining ingredients. Cover with water 1/2 inch over the top of the meat.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to medium high. Continue cooking, uncovered, until most of the water is cooked out, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cover the pot and place it in a 450º oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until browned and tender. Check on it every few minutes to make sure it does not burn. Remove the bay leaves.
- Shred the meat with a fork and serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
- Butter, Bacon, Cheese, Garlic