Chili with Cheesy Grits is a nice change from your traditional chili recipes. A great Southern twist on Shepards pie.
1. CHILI: In a dutch oven, brown sausage and ground beef over medium heat. Remove to a bowl. If needed add a little olive oil to the skillet then add onions and peppers and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat until tender., about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
2. Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin and cook stirring for about 1 minute. Add meat back to the pot along with squash, black beans and tomatoes with liquid. Season with salt and pepper and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes until squash is slightly tender. Remove lid and cook an additional 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Chili should be fairly thick. If not, continue to cook uncovered.
3. Preheat oven to 400º.
4. GRITS: In a large saucepan, bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Whisk in grits and turn heat down to medium low. Cook stirring often until tender and thick about 20 minutes. Remove and whisk in cheese and cilantro. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
5. Gradually stir about one fourth of the grits into the slightly beaten eggs and gradually add the egg mixture to the remaining grits.
6. Cover the chili with the grit mixture. Bake uncovered until grits are set and golden and chili is slightly bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.