You’ll surprise everyone with the unusual combination of spicy and sweet in Chili Coconut Lime Granola. A little heat from cayenne pepper gives a kick to this healthy snack. Eat it by itself or over yogurt. You’re going to love it.
Mike gets total credit for this amazing chili coconut lime granola. He found the recipe in the Wall Street Journal and saved it for me to try. It sounded unusual, but I wasn’t convinced that I would like spicy granola. Let me tell you, this is freaking awesome. The lime zest, cayenne pepper, coconut mixture is amazing. You just can’t stop eating it.
How do you make this EASY chili coconut lime granola
Step 1: Combine the liquid mixture of oil, agave, honey, lime juice, sugar, lime zest, cayenne and cinnamon.
Step 2: Pour the liquid over oats, pumpkin seeds, toasted coconut, pecans and salt. Stir in an egg white and spread on a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake for 30 minutes stirring it every so often. Let it cool completely on the cookie sheet.
It’s not overly sweet, and the texture is perfect, crunchy but not break your teeth crunchy. It’s good on it’s own but also over yogurt. I am not a huge granola fan but this recipe will easily turn you into one. Branch out and try this with your favorite add ins.
If you’re looking for something new to try for breakfast or a snack, this granola is a healthy and filling. Need some more ideas for healthy snacks, try some date based energy bites.
Need more breakfast ideas
- Burritos with eggs
- Frittata with sweet potatoes
- Crustless quiche
- Egg cups with prosciutto
- Sausage balls with almond flour
- Puff pastry egg pockets
- Egg salad melts
- Oatmeal scones
- Cheesy muffins
If you make Chili Coconut Lime Granola, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Adapted from Wall Street Journal July 26, 2014
Chili Coconut and Lime Granola
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 limes lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut toasted
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white beaten
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, add oil, agave, honey, sugar, lime juice, zest, cinnamon and cayenne, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss remaining ingredients except egg white. Pour liquid mixture over oat mixture and toss well making sure oats and seeds are completely coated. Sprinkle with more salt, then stir in egg white.
- Spread not a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Let cool on baking sheet. It will get crunchier as it cools.
David O'Connor says
This sounds really great. My only problem is the egg white. What is its purpose and what can substitute it?
Barbara Curry says
You can leave it out, it just makes it crunchier.