Are you looking for a chocolate chip cookie that will be THE cookie recipe that everyone will be begging for? Then you have to give chocolate chip cookies with browned butter a try. I know, who needs another chocolate chip cookie recipe, there are so many other good cookies to try, but trust me these are different. They’re the cookie recipe that everyone asks me for.
I learned about Chocolate Chip Cookies with Browned Butter from Natalie when she was home for Easter break. She found this video on youtube that she said I just had to watch, Basics with Babish. I don’t watch a lot of youtube videos, but Natalie loves this guy so we watched it together and wrote down the recipe. It’s always fun to bake things together when the girls are home.
What makes this recipe for chocolate chip cookies different
- Brown Butter
- 24 hour refrigeration of the dough
How to make the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies with Browned butter
How do you brown butter
Browning butter can be tricky but not if you follow these tips.
- Start by putting the butter in a light colored pan so that you can see when it begins to change color.
- Cook over medium heat so that it doesn’t get too hot.
- Stir continuously so that the butter cooks evenly
- Once it melts it will begin to foam and then you will see some dark specks appear. Once you smell the nutty aroma and it has started to turn golden, remove from the heat and transfer it to a heat proof bowl. If you leave it in the pan it will burn. It only takes a few seconds to go from magical browned butter to burnt butter.
Step 3: Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour but preferably for 24 hours.
Step 4: Let the dough warm slightly at room temperature.
Step 5: Once you can get a small ice cream scoop into the dough, scoop out into balls, you don’t need to press it down, it will spread out just enough so that you get beautiful cookies. My recipe makes 22 pretty large cookies.
You can definitely make these smaller but whatever the size, you’ll have a hard time keeping them around. So while they take a couple of extra steps, it’s well worth it to have a perfect chocolate chip cookie.
These cookies freeze well and can also be shipped, they are sturdy enough to handle a trip. Looking for a different type of chocolate chip cookie, try Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies or Chocolate Chip Cookies with Grated Chocolate. If you really love chocolate, then Chocolate Dulce De Leche Cookies should be on your short list of cookies to try.
Had enough chocolate chip cookies, try something different
- Potato chip cookies are a buttery salty perfection
- Want something basic but fun, go with a sprinkle butter cookie
- In the mood for chocolate, go with these chocolate cookies with chocolate chunks
- Are you dreaming of summer, then bake a batch of S’more Cookies
Adapted from Basics with Babish
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Browned Butter
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until it begins to turn brown. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Refrigerate until solid.
- Add butter and both sugars together in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until combined, not light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture in 2 batches and mix until just combined. Add chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour but preferably 24 hours. Remove and let warm up enough so that you can scoop it out with an ice cream scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350º and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out dough with an ice cream scoop and form into balls. Don’t press down.
- Bake for 12 minutes until starting to turn brown.