For those that don’t know me, I’m a runner and am always making sure I try to get lots of protein. Lately, I’ve been trying to do so without eating as many carbs. If you’re tired of scrambled or fried eggs, this is a great way to get that extra protein and no utensils required. It’s basically an egg sandwich with some type of meat and cheese in the middle. I first tried baking the eggs in muffin pans and this method works great, but the egg will be a little rounded and puffed which makes the sandwich part not as photographic as the one above.
For the ones in the first photo, I used a muffin top pan. It’s shallow and was perfect to make a round flat egg surface to build your sandwich on. If you don’t have a muffin top pan, then use a regular muffin pan and they will still be delicious. Eggs have a great texture when baked. Just don’t cook them too long. I took them out just when the centers were set.
You’ll want your cheese to be sliced pretty thin so it melts and gets all goey. We tried these with Nesses sausage and Canadian bacon. Both were fabulous. The Canadian bacon reminded us of the more traditional egg muffins and was a nice fit for the egg surface. If you manage to have any left over, you can easily warm these up in the microwave for a quick breakfast on the go. If you want to get fancy, add some hollandaise to the top.Print
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Low Carb
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup cream
- salt and pepper
- 3–5 sausage patties/canadian bacon
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray muffin top pan or regular muffin pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together eggs and cream in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mixture into a 6 cup muffin top pan or into 8 cups of a regular muffin pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, just until center of egg is set. Remove and make into a sandwich with egg, meat, cheese and egg. Makes 3 sandwiches if using a muffin top and 4 if using a regular muffin pan.