Looking for a fabulous dessert that is not quite so sweet, then you are gong to love this rich, decadent, flourless chocolate cake, You’ll never guess what makes the topping spectacular.
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly butter a springform pan and dust with sugar.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, oil, and butter. Microwave on medium power until melted, about 2 minutes, stirring every 3o seconds.
3. Separate 4 eggs into 2 bowls. To the bowl with the yolks, add cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, 1/4 cup sugar and the remaining 2 whole eggs. Whisk until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and whisk until blended.
4. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the chocolate mixture in two batches, folding just until combined. Pour into prepared pan and top with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake until the top is cracked and the cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan, about 35-45 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before removing the sides.
6. For the topping, combine all ingredients and beat until soft peaks form. Place on cooled cake.