Let Tequila and sprinkles liven up your Fruit Pizza! Start with a Sprinkle Cookie crust, add some cream cheese and Cool Whip and then pile on your favorite fruit that has been drizzled with a Tequila lime sauce. Who can say no to Tequila and Sprinkle Cookies!
When the girls were younger we had a pizza place that served dessert pizza. They would always order the one with Heath Bars crumbled on top. They would choose dessert pizza over regular pizza any day. So with Natalie home for a couple of weeks we decided to work on our own creation. Our first attempt was with a regular sugar cookie base but we thought it was too crumbly and didn’t really hold all the fabulous fruit we wanted to pile on. So Natalie came up with the idea to use our Sprinkle Cookie dough since it’s a firmer dough but not too crispy.
I wasn’t sure how one big cookie would work, but we rolled out half the dough into a circle and let it bake until we hoped it was done. It was lightly golden on top and actually had a couple of cracks in it just like the cookies would, but it stayed together. We found it to be the perfect base. It was firm enough to hold the toppings and didn’t get soggy until about 2 days later. The best part was the sprinkles of course.
We already knew we were going to add our favorite fruit topping to the fruit, Tequila lime syrup. We love this over fruit salad. It’s slightly sweet, the alcohol has been cooked out but the Tequila flavor remains. The lime zest and juice compliment almost any type of berry or stone fruit.
How do you make a fruit pizza
Step 1: Make the cookie dough for the crust by creaming butter and sugar and adding eggs and flour along with baking soda, cream of tartar and cornstarch. Add a cup of sprinkles and roll out half of the dough and bake. Save the rest for cookies!
Step 2: Combine tequila, lime zest and sugar in a small pan and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool and pour over fruit.
Step 3: Beat cream cheese and cool whip together and spread over cook crust. Using a slotted spoon place fruit over the cream cheese layer and serve.
This was so much fun to experiment with and we loved the final outcome. The second time around I made sure I had a crowd of people to serve as this won’t last more than a day. While this is great for kids, I served it to a crowd of adults and there were no complaints. The Sprinkles don’t really add anything but fun, so you can leave them out if you want.
More fruit based desserts you’ll love
- Blueberry cobbler
- Peach and berry bundt cake
- Strawberry shortcake
- Cherry hand pies
- Raspberry cream cheese brownies
- Strawberry chiffon pie
- Peach Dumplings
- Strawberry skillet pound cake
- Mixed berry crisp
- Rhubarb crisp
- Banana cream pie
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sprinkles
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Tequila
- 2 limes zest and juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups strawberries cut in half
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 kiwi peeled and cut into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture on low speed and mix until combined. Gently mix in the sprinkles, just enough to disburse but not so much that they bleed into the dough.
- Divide in half and place one half onto parchment paper and roll into a pizza shape. Slide dough and parchment paper onto a flat cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the dough. Save the other half for cookies or a second pizza. It can be frozen.
- Let cool completely before assembling.
CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:
- With a hand held mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, then add Cool Whip, sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined and spread on pizza dough right before serving.
- Combine sugar and Tequila and lime zest in a small pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook just until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the juice from both limes. Let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, pour the desired amount over fruit.
- With a slotted spoon, place fruit over cream cheese layer.