Make COOKIES for appetizers with Honey Shortbread Bites. A slightly sweet shortbread with smokey cream cheese on top along with tomatoes and fresh corn. A make-ahead appetizer that will stay fresh for hours.
What could make Appetizer Friday better, an appetizer that starts out as a cookie. The base of this appetizer is a honey shortbread cookie that is great all by itself. Add the paprika cream cheese and some veggies to make it healthy, and you have a great finger food for guests. You can make the cookie base ahead of time and freeze them, then just assemble before anyone arrives and keep them cold in the refrigerator.
It’s nice to find an appetizer that is good right away but is just as good an hour into your party. The base is sturdy enough that it won’t fall apart after the first bite. Just watch peoples faces as they get the unexpected cookie taste.
Honey Shortbread Bites
Make cookies for appetizers with Honey Shortbread Bites. A slightly sweet shortbread with smokey cream cheese on top along with tomatoes and fresh corn. A make-ahead appetizer that will stay fresh for hours.
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 11/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cobb corn
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- flaky sea salt and pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in honey with a fork. Knead mixture in the bowl until dough begins to cling together. Form dough into a slightly flattened disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 325°. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Divide chilled dough in half and form each into a slightly flattened disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll to slightly less than 1/4” thick. Cut into circles with a 2-1/4” round cutter. Place 1” apart on the cookie sheet. Re-roll as needed. Continue with the second half.
4. Bake for 12 minutes, or until edges are firm and tops are lightly golden brown. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
5. CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:
In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add paprika, garlic powder, chipotle powder, mustard, and salt, stirring to completely combine.
With a small knife, top each shortbread round with 1 to 2 teaspoons of smoky cream cheese. Top with 2 pieces of quartered tomato, some fresh corn kernels, and a bit of cilantro. Add a sprinkling of flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately, or chill covered for a couple of hours before serving.