Shredded chicken is the base for many easy and tasty meals – but actually doing the work of shredding the chicken can be tedious. Using two forks is the classic way to shred chicken, but it can take some effort. This super simple hack for shredding chicken is neat, easy, and uses equipment most home cooks already have.
There is nothing like the convenience of making dinner with shredded chicken, but you still have to shred it. Kitchen hacks make your life a little easier.
There are so many chicken casserole recipes that call for shredded meat along with a staple like chicken salad.
Shredding the meat, though, is nothing short of a labor of love – even with serving forks, pulling apart the meat by hand takes time, and doing it with your hands is impossible if you’re trying to serve it hot like in a pulled chicken sandwich.
Whether you’re using a rotisserie chicken, roasted chicken or chicken cooked in an Instant pot, you need a way to shred it once it’s cooked.
Shredding chicken with this simple kitchen hack makes the task super quick and hardly takes any effort, so you can get on to your favorite chicken recipe.
Pro Tip: Try to buy chicken breasts in bulk, cook it using your favorite cooking method, then shred it and freeze it. It will save you time and money. All you need to do is grab a pack from the freezer the night before and you can have chicken spaghetti or Ranch chicken pasta for dinner in no time.
Why You’ll Love This Hack for Shredding Chicken
- Fast results: This hack for shredding chicken only takes a minute to complete, and you’ll be left with perfectly shredded chicken in no time.
- Perfect chicken every time: Shredding chicken with this hack lets you control how fine you want the chicken, large chunks or fine shreds, it’s easy with this hack.
- Great for large volumes: This is especially handy when you are shredding a large batch of chicken breasts.
How To Quickly Shred Chicken
Remove any bones from your chicken and place the chicken in a mixing bowl or large bow. If using a hand held mixer, rest the beaters on the warm chicken breast and turn the mixer to the lowest speed and increase as necessary.
If using an electric mixer, turn it to the lowest speed and mix until you reach the desired size. The chicken will shred perfectly as it passes through the beaters of the mixer.
Tips for Shredding Chicken
- Safety tip: For this hack to work safely, it should only be used on boneless meat. Choose boneless cuts for cooking, or carefully and thoroughly remove any bones from the cooked meat before you try this hack.
- Use warm chicken: It is easier to shred chicken if it is still a little warm. It will shred if it’s cold, it is just easier with warm chicken.
What if I don’t have an electric mixer?
There are several ways to shred chicken without an electric mixer.
- Hand method: Let the chicken cool slightly and pull it apart with your fingers. This works best when you want larger pieces.
- Two forks: Grab two forks, stick one into the chicken and use the other to pull the chicken apart.
- Blender: You can use a blender to shred the chicken.
- Food Processor: A food processor will shred chicken but it can become fine very quickly so if you want larger pieces of chicken, pulse slowly.
How do I know if my chicken is cooked enough?
The recommended safe internal temperature for a chicken breast is 165° F. A meat thermometer is the best way to make sure the chicken has cooked enough to be safe to eat.
What type of chicken is best for shredding?
The best cuts of chicken for shredding are chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs. Using boneless cuts makes the process super simple and straightforward.
What kinds of recipes can I use shredded chicken for?
The list is endless from casseroles to quesadillas to chicken pot pie. It’s so versatile and makes weeknight dinners so much easier. Here are a few of my favorites.
Creamy Chicken Casserole with Pecan Crumble
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Pepperidge Farm Chicken Casserole with Stuffing
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
Southwest Chicken Rice Casserole
Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce
Chicken Tamale Pie with Cornbread
Sriracha Mango Quesadillas
Chicken Pot Pie Galette
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Kitchen Hack 15 (How to Shred Chicken)
- Electric mixer
- Remove any bones from the chicken. Place the beaters into the bowl with the chicken. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and increase as necessary. The chicken will shred perfectly as it passes through the beaters of the mixer.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Only use this on boneless chicken
- This will work best if the chicken is slightly warm or room temperature.