Lasagna with béchamel and Italian sausage is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. Easier than it sounds and perfect if you want to feed a crowd. Make ahead and have it ready when friends and family come for dinner.
1. In a large skillet cook hamburger, sausage until brown and remove from skillet. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook until tender. Add meat back to skillet and stir in tomato sauce and spices. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Boil gently uncovered about 10 minutes.
2. For béchamel sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, pepper, nutmeg and salt. Cook for 1 minute and slowly add milk whisking until thickened.
3. Cook pasta in boiling salted water.
4. Arrange a single layer of pasta in greased 9 X 13 in pan. Spread with 1/3 béchamel sauce, 1/3 meat and 1/3 cheese. Repeat 2 more times ending with cheese.
5. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 350º for 40-50 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting.
Great to make ahead and freeze.