Lemon Snowflakes Cookies
I have to share one more cookie recipe because my family will not stop raving about these. While I enjoy lemon cookies, my husband loves them, so I tried this recipe from America’s Test Kitchen to round out an assortment of cookies I served for friends who came over for Appetizer Friday. They have been going so fast, I was afraid I wouldn’t have any left for our friends.
Sometimes when I make cookies, my testers will give comments or suggestions about how to make them better, but with these, everyone kept telling me how good they were and how they were their favorite of any I have made. I’m not going so far as to say these are my favorite, but others are making that claim. They also claim that they are getting better with time.
I did manage to save enough for my guests, who after sampling some of my favorites, also raved that they liked these the best. So don’t sell lemon cookies short, these are pretty tasty.
I’ve found that the larger size does not turn out quite as pretty as the smaller size although they taste the same.Print
- Yield: 2-3 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest about 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl.
- In a food processor, process sugar and lemon zest until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add egg and yolk, butter, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice and process until pale and thickened, about 30 seconds. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until incorporated. (It will be sticky) Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl.
- Form into balls using a small ice cream scoop. Toss in confectioners sugar to coat and place on prepared pans. Bake until cracked and set on top but moist within cracks, 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies.
- America’s Test Kitchen Best Ever Christmas Cookies