Marshmallow Filled Banana Cupcakes are amazing. It starts out as a moist banana cupcake that you stuff with a marshmallow cream filling. Great for your next breakfast meeting.
One of Natalie’s friend commented on how much she liked these cupcakes and wanted the recipe. I was going to refer her to my website and realized that I hadn’t posted about these yet. So Miranda, this post is for you.
Every once in awhile I like to try something that takes a little more effort. Sometimes it’s worth it and sometimes not. I had some ripe bananas around so I played around with this recipe. The banana cupcake was moist and yummy by itself. I cut off the top and piped in marshmallow frosting, then replaced the top and spread icing on top. The icing inside is a nice surprise when you take your first bite, and the marshmallow cream gives it a little more texture than a cream cheese frosting.
For me, the frosting was just a little too sweet but obviously others did not think so, as the container came back empty. If you want a less sweet version, use a cream cheese frosting, or just use less frosting on top.Print
Marshmallow Filled Banana Cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- ¾ cup butter, room temp
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana mashed, about 2 bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line 18 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups 2/3s full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1 inch circle, 1 inch deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops.
- Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2014