Marshmallow Squares, are a Rice Krispie type treat with browned butter, pretzels, popcorn and potato chips. An AWESOME salty sweet combination. Easy to make and great for shipping or a bake sale or cookie exchange.
The best part about the Holidays is having everyone around to give me ideas of things to bake. This recipe sounded interesting and I had everything in my pantry except the marshmallows. It’s similar to a Rice Krispie treat, but without cereal. Instead it has pretzels, potato chips and popcorn. The result is a sweet and salty bar which we all love at our house. Surprisingly, this did not taste extremely sweet even with the marshmallows. I think the salty add in’s offset the sweetness. And did I mention you start with browned butter.
These would be great for a bake sale, or easy to ship, just put some parchment paper between your layers to keep them from sticking to each other.
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows 10 ounce bag
- 2 cups wavy potato chips coarsely crushed
- 2 cups pretzels coarsley crushed
- 1 cup buttered popcorn
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat bring butter to a boil, stirring constantly until it turns a deep amber color. Immediately add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Quickly add potato chips, pretzels and popcorn and stir until completely coated.
- Transfer to prepared pan and press evenly. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.