The recipe is fool proof and you can make it in about 15 minutes. Much quicker than a batch of cookies. I use marshmallows instead of marshmallow cream and dark chocolate. While it’s sweet, it’s not sweetened condensed milk sweet. You can use milk chocolate if you like that better, just try to use a good quality chocolate since that’s the main ingredient.
The only thing you’ll need is a thermometer. You’ll bring sugar, butter and evaporated milk to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it get to 234º. Once there, add the chocolate and marshmallows and whisk it together until it’s smooth. Add some peppermint extract and pour it into a pan to cool. For a bit more peppermint taste and a festive finish, crush up some candy canes or peppermint candies and sprinkle them on your warm chocolate pressing them in a bit so they don’t fall off once it’s cool.
That’s it, what could be easier. You can leave out the peppermint and have plain fudge or add nuts to change things up a bit.
Keep a batch or two in the freezer for a last minute hostess gift or gift for a special friend, or to enjoy after a busy day. This is going to make your holiday season just a little bit easier.
Peppermint Fudge is just what you need during the holiday season. It’s so quick and easy to make and everyone loves the creamy texture of fudge. A perfect gift for someone special.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 48
- Category: dessert
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 sticks cut into cubes
- ⅔ cups evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- 5 ounces large marshmallows, about 21 marchmallows
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
1. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with foil. Spray with vegetable spray.
2. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently until it registers 234º, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and immediately add chopped chocolate, marshmallows and peppermint extract and whisk until smooth and the marshmallows are fully melted, about 2 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy, gently push it into the fudge. Let it sit until cool, about 2 hours. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
4. Remove from pan and cut.