Spinach quiche with caramelized onions is as creamy as custard. Baked in the flakiest herbed crust that will melt in your melt. Great for a Spring brunch or to chase away the winter blues.
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Roll out pie crust and place in deep dish pie pan, Prick with a fork and refrigerate while preparing quiche.
2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add onions and toss in oil. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove lid and add salt and sugar. Cook an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
3. In a separate skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add spinach and a pinch of salt and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon butter and saute mushrooms until browned, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add eggs to a large measuring bowl and add enough cream/milk so that the total volume is 3 cups. Whisk until well combined. Add cheese, onions, mushrooms, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg.
5. Pour into prepared pie crust. Turn oven down to 375º and bake for 40-50 minutes until center no longer jiggles.
You can make this without a pie crust, just spray the pan with cooking spray first.