Hand pies with the flakiest butter crust and a raspberry filling, are easier than they look and just the thing to share for Valentines day. Some unusual additions make these one of my favorites.
1. CRUST: In a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add butter, cut into 1 inch pieces, and pulse until it looks like coarse meal with no large chunks remaining. Add vinegar and water and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Place on floured surface and knead until all flour is incorporated, it won’t be smooth. Divide in half and pat into two flat disks about 1 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Place on the lined pan and chill for about 10 minutes.
4. Place raspberries, sugar, thyme, and orange zest in a small bowl. Gently mix.
5. Beat egg with 1 teaspoon of water and set aside.
6. Cut dough into 16 circles using a 4 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or use a paring knife and cut around a cup that is the size you prefer. Divide the berry mixture among the 8 circles and top with a slice of butter. Brush the edge of the circle with the egg wash and add another circle on top. Press them together and seal with the tines of a fork. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with extra thyme and Demerara sugar.
7. Cut one to two slits in the top of the pies to allow steam to escape . Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before eating.