Salted Caramel Oat Bars with cashews, chocolate chips and pretzels are a great dessert bar. Just the right mixture of salty and sweet.
If you are craving something salty and sweet, these are just the thing, I made them when I had some extra cashews in the house and it was a nice change from pecans or walnuts. It’s a great way to make a bar that’s a little different. The crushed pretzels give them a little crunch and make them different from a seven layer bar. The caramel and sweetened condensed milk make these a show stopper. Great for a pot luck or Spring picnic.Print
Salted Caramel Oat Bars
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup finely crushed pretzels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 can
- 11 ounces caramels unwrapped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk choc chip
- 1 cup salted cahsews, chopped
- 1 teaspoon course salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° Line a 15x10x1 inch pan with parchment paper or foil.
- With your electric mixer beat butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla until incorporated. On low speed add in pretzels, flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly mix in oats.
- Set aside 1 cup of the batter. Press remaining batter into prepared pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine caramels and sweetened condensed milk and microwave for 1-2 minutes, just until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour caramel on oat batter.
- Sprinkle the cashews, chocolate chips and remaining oat batter on top. Sprinkle coarse sea salt evenly over top.
- Bake for 20-2 minutes until top starts to golden. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. When cool lift bars from pan with foil and cut.