Traditional Seven-Layer bars with Rice Krispies have an added crunch. A great after-school snack or bake-sale treat.
Last week we sent the girls back to college and of course I had to send some goodies with them. Since I didn’t have to put them in the mail, I had a little more flexibility and decided to try this version of my favorite college treat. The secret ingredient in this version is Rice Krispies hidden among the layers. My crew couldn’t tell what was different about them, except that they were crispier and kept their shape a little bit better than the traditional version.
Other than the Rice Krispies, I added all the standard toppings, but toasted the pecans and coconut. I used two different types of chocolate, melting the milk chocolate and just letting the semi-sweet chips melt together with the other ingredients while it cooked in the oven. This version calls for ground up health bars added to the graham cracker layer for some added sweetness. I thought that was a little over the top for me. Of course you finish these off with sweetened condensed milk, but adding a little vanilla to it is a nice touch.
Traditional Seven-Layer bars are even better with Rice Krispies added to give them a little extra crunch
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 12 graham crackers, 2 cups
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup semisweet choc
- 1 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. Place graham crackers in a ziplock and crush until you have fine crumbs.
3. In a microwave bowl melt butter. With a fork stir in graham cracker crumbs. Spread firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes until it begins to brown.
4. Remove pan from oven and add milk chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes until slightly melted, spread out over crust. Next, layer cereal, pecans, chocolate chips, and coconut, pressing down after each layer. Combine sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and pour over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for about 2 hours before lifting out of the pan.