Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting have strawberry jam in the batter and strawberry puree in the center for double the strawberry taste. Great for birthday parties or Valentines day.
Strawberries will be around soon, but you don’t have to wait for Spring to make strawberry filled cupcakes, you can use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. These cupcakes are bursting with strawberries. There is strawberry jam and strawberry puree in the cupcake, and the filing has even more fresh/frozen strawberries. Add freeze dried strawberries to the frosting for the strawberry trifecta! There are several things about these cupcakes that are unique.
First the cake is wonderful all by itself, so if you don’t want to mess with the filling, just make a fabulous strawberry cupcake using strawberry jam and puree.
Second, they are filled with a concentrated strawberry puree which is basically homemade strawberry jam with eggs. Since I discovered the cuisipro corer, removing the core is a breeze. If you don’t have one a melon baller works, as does a spoon. Don’t shy away from stuffed cupcakes, the filling adds so much more flavor and it keeps the cupcake moist.
Third, the frosting is phenomenal. You can frost them with a cream cheese frosting but add freeze dried strawberries and you get a beautiful pink color along with a delicious strawberry cream cheese frosting. These are perfect for spring, who can say no to a pink cupcake with puréed strawberries oozing out, topped with a perfect strawberry cream cheese frosting.
How do you make homemade strawberry filled cupcakes
- The filling needs to refrigerate for a couple of hours so you can make this in advance. You are basically making jam. Puree the fresh or frozen strawberries, add some sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and egg yolks and cook until it thickens. Add some butter and chill.
- For the cupcakes, beat butter and sugar until creamy and add some strawberry jam and eggs. Then add the dry ingredients alternating with a simple strawberry puree and add buttermilk. Fill muffin liners and bake. The cupcakes need to cool completely before coring them.
- To core, remove about a tablespoon of cake out of the cupcake.
- Fill with the strawberry Puree.
- The frosting is a basic cream cheese frosting with butter, cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and freeze dried strawberries.
How to FROST cupcakes
If you have a frosting kit, cupcakes are fun to experiment with all the cool tips. I have a Wilton kit which is inexpensive and comes with disposable bags and several tips. If you don’t have decorating tips or have run out of disposable bags you can use a Ziplock bag. A freezer bag is a little sturdier, but any type will work.
If you have a tip, cut off one of the corners of the bag and place the tip in the corner and fill the bag with frosting. If you’re not using a tip, fill the bag with frosting and then cut off the tip of the corner of the Ziplock bag. Of course you could just use a knife!
I like using a Ziplock bag when I’m using more than one color of frosting. It allows you to use a smaller amount of frosting without wasting a large bag. When filling the bags, I put the bag inside a glass and pull the top of the bag down over the sides of the glass. This allows you to add the frosting without making a mess.
You can transform this basic cream frosting into an unbelievable frosting by adding just a half cup of freeze dried ground strawberries to the frosting. It adds an amazing strawberry flavor and makes them so pretty, no food coloring needed.
Need some more cupcake recipes
- Banana carrot cake cupcakes are so moist with cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese filling don’t need frosting at all
- Try some orange cupcakes with a butter marmalade frosting
Do you have extra STRAWBERRIES, here are some recipes to try
- You’ll need 4 cups for Strawberry Cobbler
- Just have a cup, add them to Strawberry Scones
- Strawberry Slab Pie is great when you’re feeding a crowd
- Add a handful to sheet pan pancakes
If you make Strawberry Filled Cupcakes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces fresh/frozen strawberries thawed and pureed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 32 ounces fresh/frozen strawberries thawed and drained
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks lightly beaten
- ½ cup butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp
- ½ cup butter room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries ground in food processor, about ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 24 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Puree 16 ounces of fresh or frozen strawberries in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in strawberry jam. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with strawberry puree, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until well combined. Add buttermilk beating to combine. Spoon into muffin tins, filling ¾’s full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire wrack.
- While the cupcakes are baking make the filling. Puree 32 ounces of fresh or frozen strawberries in a food processor. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, strawberry puree, lemon juice and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until very thick, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Let cool slightly, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to get the consistency you want. Add dried strawberries and mix until combined.
- Using a cupcake corer or melon baller, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of cake from the center of each cupcake. Fill with strawberry filling. Top with frosting.
Leave a Reply