Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
Strawberries will be around soon, so bookmark this recipe to try. I experimented with frozen strawberries and can’t wait to try them again with fresh ones. But if you can’t wait, they were fantastic with frozen berries. There are several things about these cupcakes that are unique. First the cake is wonderful all by itself, so if you don’t want to mess with the rest, just make the cupcakes.
Second, they are filled with a concentrated strawberry puree. Since I discovered the cuisipro corer, filling them is a breeze. Don’t shy away from stuffed cupcakes, the filling adds so much more flavor than the cake itself.
And third, the frosting is phenomenal. You could frost them with a cream cheese frosting but adding cool whip lightens them up a bit. I used lite cream cheese and cool whip which worked fine and saved a few fat grams. These are perfect for spring, who can say no to a pink cupcake with puréed strawberries oozing out, topped with the perfect frosting. Add a fresh strawberry and you have the picture of Spring. I had a hard time keeping these around.Print
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup butter , softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces fresh/frozen strawberries, thawed and pureed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 32 ounces fresh/frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ½ cup butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 16 ounces lite cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces lite frozen notdairy whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 24 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Puree 16 ounces of fresh or frozen strawberries in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in strawberry jam. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with strawberry puree, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until well combined. Add buttermilk beating to combine. Spoon into muffin tins, filling 3/4’s full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire wrack.
- While the cupcakes are baking make the filling. Puree 32 ounces of fresh or frozen strawberries. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, strawberry puree, lemon juice and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until very thick, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Let cool slightly, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Beat at medium sped with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until smooth. Add whipped topping, beating to combine.
- Using a cupcake corer or melon baller, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of cake from the center of each cupcake. Fill with strawberry filling. Top with frosting.
- Southern Lady March-April 2014