Turkey Oreo Truffles are easy and fun to make. With Oreos and cream cheese covered in milk chocolate, everyone can get in on the Thanksgiving fun, gobble, gobble!
Ingredients for Oreo Cookie Balls
- Oreos, a standard package
- Cream cheese, 8 ounces
- Milk chocolate chips or Ghiradelli melting discs
- Straight and regular pretzels
- Googley eyes
How to make cute Thanksgiving Turkey Oreo Truffles
These are easy to make but kids will need some help with dipping the Oreo balls into the chocolate.
Step 1: Place an entire package of Oreos into the food processor and process until fine crumbs then add cream cheese and process until combined. Use a 2 tablespoon scoop to form balls and roll them with your hands to make smooth balls. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper and freeze for about 15 minutes. Longer, and the chocolate will tend to crack.
Step 2: Place pretzels on parchment paper the length you want the turkey necks. Melt a few tablespoons of chocolate in the microwave and spoon about a 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate to form an oval over the end of the pretzel. Before it cools, place the eyes and beak in the chocolate. Place these in the freezer to set.
Step 3: Have everything ready to assemble before melting the chocolate. Take out about five balls and heads out of the freezer at a time. Microwave a small amount of chocolate, enough to cover about five balls, on 50% power until it’s smooth. Place a frozen Oreo ball on top of a fork and either dip in the chocolate or pour the chocolate over the ball. To remove, use a sharp knife to scoot it off the fork onto parchment paper.
Step 4: While the chocolate is still soft, add the tail and the neck. If making a fan tail, just poke the small pretzels into the back of the body. Place these in the freezer to set and then refrigerate until ready to eat or they can be frozen.
TIPS for making Oreo Truffle Balls
- The easiest chocolate is Ghiraradelli melting discs but milk chocolate chips will also work.
- Have all of your decorations out and ready to assemble because the chocolate will harden fairly quickly.
- Work with just a few Oreo balls at a time and leave the rest in the refrigerator. If they get too warm they will disintegrate in the hot chocolate.
- To make the beaks you need to cut the M&M in half. Try using a pill cutter if you have one, if not a sharp knife will work.
- Attach the pretzel for the tail first since it needs to stick to the back of the Oreo ball, to do so, dip the bottom in chocolate and then press it into the Oreo ball.
- If making a fan tail, dip the pretzels in chocolate first and then stick them into the Oreo ball.
- Don’t forget to have FUN!
More traditional Thanksgiving DESSERTS
- A great citrus dessert is Lemon Chess Pie
- Feeding a crowd, go with Chocolate Pecan Slab Pie
- Apple Dumplings are easier than making a pie
- Everyone loves chocolate and cheesecake in Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake
Turkey Oreo Truffles
- 1 package Oreo Cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces ghiraradelli milk chocolate melting discs
- 22 Regular pretzels
- 22 Straight pretzels plus more if making a fan tail
- 44 googley eyes
- 12 M&M's
- Place the Oreos in a food processor, don’t separate. Pulse until you have fine crumbs. Add cream cheese and process until combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form into balls and roll them with your hands to make smooth balls. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 15 minutes, then place in the refrigerator until ready to coat.
- Break the straight pretzels into the length you want for the necks. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the pretzels in a row about 2 inches apart. Melt a small amount of chocolate in the microwave on 50% power and spoon a 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate over the top of the pretzels forming it into an oval. Add the eyes and half of an M&Place in freezer for a few minutes until set.
- Place enough chocolate in a microwave safe bowl to cover about 5 balls. Microwave on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until it is liquid and smooth. Place an Oreo ball on the flat part of a fork and immediately dip it into the chocolate, or you can pour the chocolate over the ball. Use a sharp knife to scoot the ball off the fork onto parchment paper. Continue with the remaining balls and then add more chocolate and continue. Keep the balls in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Before the chocolate melts, decorate the turkeys. For the tail, dip the bottom portion of a regular pretzel into chocolate and press it against the ball. Or if making a fan tail, dip the end of some straight pretzels in chocolate and push them into the back of the ball. For the head, gently push the neck into the ball.
- Place in freezer for a few minutes until set and then store in the refrigerator. They can be frozen.