If you’re a fan of hot sauce, you’ll definitely love Buffalo chicken. Nothing beats tender chicken smothered in tangy mouthwatering sauce. To combat the heat, you’re going to need some fabulous side dishes.
Whether you’re looking for more appetizers for a game day spread, or making Buffalo chicken the main course and need some sides to go with it, this post has you covered. You’ll find tons of easy recipes that will take the stress off cooking and that will go perfectly with your buffalo chicken wings.
Choosing a side dish can be tricky when you have flavors to mix and match. But the good news is, buffalo chicken tends to go very well with creamy dishes, fresh vegetables, or other pallet cleansing dishes.
Scroll all the way to the end for some amazing desserts you won’t want to miss!
How do you make Buffalo sauce
Some people use Frank’s RedHot sauce for their wings, and while that’s the base for Buffalo sauce, you need to add butter, brown sugar and a little vinegar for a true Buffalo sauce. My homemade Buffalo sauce is so much better than hot sauce alone and so easy to make.
Tips for choosing good side dishes for buffalo chicken wings
- Something creamy – Creamy dishes complement tangy hot sauce so well, like sour cream onion dip. It’s a great way to cool your mouth down after a bite of spicy chicken.
- Choose fresh vegetables or a salad like they do at buffalo wild wings. The classic cucumbers and/or carrot sticks pair perfectly with wings.
- Pick something you haven’t made before – You never know, you might just find a new favorite recipe. There’s more options than blue cheese dip or french fries!
- Everyone always loves bread – challah rolls, cheesy bread, buttermilk biscuits, you name it. Bread goes well with almost any main dish but it especially nice with spicy food.
- Salty – A salty snack like pita chips or Swiss cheese crackers is an underrated side dish. It’s especially great with wings.
FAQ about Buffalo chicken
Buffalo seasoning is made of garlic, paprika, onion, cayenne, and a few other spices. The combination of these spices plus butter and brown sugar, gives it the tangy yet spicy flavor everyone loves.
Baked wings that have first been boiled with seasoning and then coated with parmesan cheese and garlic are the best wings to coat with Buffalo sauce. The wings are tender but crispy.
If you find yourself with leftover buffalo chicken wings after game day, you can refrigerate them for 5 days, or you can freeze them and just pop them in the oven or air fryer to crisp them up.
Buffalo chicken needs some other appetizers to compliment their spicy flavor. Plus we can’t live on chicken wings alone. Add a variety of appetizers that will compliment the wings.
Sweet Potato Bites with Waffle Fries
Beer Battered Onion Rings
Buttery Bold Chex Mix
Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls
Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
Fried Mac and Cheese Bites
Vidalia Onion Dip
When you want something more substantial to go with your Buffalo chicken, choose the perfect side dish, there are endless options. It’s important to keep in mind the serving size you need as well as how much you want to cook. Sometimes it’s easier to opt for a salad.
Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Roasted Potato Salad
Creamy Italian Pasta Salad
Homemade Creamy Coleslaw
Classic and Simple Wedge Salad
Pear, Date and Walnut Salad
There’s nothing better than washing down something spicy with a sweet treat. Having a few go-to easy dessert recipes always comes in handy, especially for parties or family events.
White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze
Classic Chocolate Cupcakes
Hopefully this will give you some great ideas for what to fix with Buffalo chicken, whether you’re serving it as an appetizer or the main meal.