It can’t be summer in the South without a Seafood Boil overflowing with your favorite seafood, corn and new potatoes. Perfect for when you’re having a big crowd, just make sure you have a big enough pot!
- 4-6 quarts water
- 24 ounces white wine/beer 2 bottles of beer, 1 bottle of wine
- 1 Orange cut into quarters
- 2 carrots cut into pieces
- 2 stalks celery cut into pieces
- 2 head of garlic Sliced in half
- 1 vidalia onion cut into chuncks
- 3-5 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaf
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ears corn on the cob cut into thirds
- 2 lbs new potatoes
- 8 ounces andouille sausage sliced into 1 inch slices
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crab legs
- 2 lbs mussels/clams
Bring water to a roiling boil then add beer or wine, orange, carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Next add the seasoning and continue to a boil for an additional 10 minutes.
Set a timer for 25 minutes and add the new potatoes, cover and continue to boil. After 10 minutes, add corn and sausage. When the timer gets to the 10 minute mark, add crab legs. When it reaches 5 minutes, add shrimp. With 2-3 minutes left, add the mussels. Keep the lid on while you are cooking except to add the ingredients.
Test the potatoes before adding any seafood. If they are not close to being done, let them cook a bit longer before adding the seafood. You don’t want to overcook the shrimp or mussels.
Once the shrimp is pink and the mussels have opened, pour through a strainer and place seafood on a platter or lined baking sheet. Drizzle with browned butter if desired.
- Start with a large pot, try a canning pot.
- You can substitute a white wine for beer.
- Have all the ingredients ready before you begin.
- Make sure the potatoes and corn are cooked through before you start adding the seafood.
- Don't over cook the seafood.
- Throw out any shell fish that does not open.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 189mg | Sodium: 1991mg | Potassium: 1191mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3250IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 6mg