Cherry and Raspberry Coffee Cake
Cherry and Raspberry Coffee Cake with fresh fruit instead of streusel. This yeast based coffee cake with a vanilla glaze will make your morning extra special.
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 packets active dry yeast 4 1/2 teaspoons
- 3 eggs
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cherries pitted and halved
- 1 cup raspberries fresh
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Lightly grease and flour a 9 X 13 inch baking pan.
Gently heat milk, brown sugar and 10 tablespoons butter in the microwave, it should feel warm to the touch but not hot. When the butter has almost melted, add the yeast and let the mixture stand. The yeast should get foamy.
Whisk eggs lightly. Measure the flour and salt into a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the eggs and the milk mixture over the flour and gently stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, mixing just until the wet ingredients are incorporated. Spread the batter in the prepared pan, it will be sticky. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the pan.
Place the pan in a warm spot and let rise for an hour or until doubled in height, or refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 350º. Evenly distribute the fruit over the dough then sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Melt 4 tablespoons butter and drizzle it over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate the pan and lower the temperature to 325º and bake for 8-10 minutes. The top should be golden brown.
While the cake is baking, whisk together the glaze and drizzle over warm coffee cake.
- To get a great rise from the dough, try heating up some water in a microwave and placing the pan of dough in the warm microwave to rise. The steam and heat from the water is a great place for dough to rise.
- If the raspberries are sour, use more cherries, or leave out the raspberries and just use cherries.
- You can use frozen cherries, let them thaw before adding.
- This can be frozen after it has cooled. Freeze before adding the glaze. Add the glaze right before serving.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 221mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 303IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg