Pinwheels with Spinach and Prosciutto
Pinwheels with spinach and prosciutto are rich and flavorful, a great do ahead appetizer that you can eat with your fingers. Easy to freeze the roll and have it on hand when you need a quick appetizer.
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 10 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed completely dry
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes drained, chopped and patted dry
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup parmesan/asiago cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 thin slices prosciutto (5ounces)
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Thaw puff pastry at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until it is easy to unfold.
In a medium bowl, stir together the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise, cheese, and seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Unfold a sheet of pastry and place on a lightly floured surface. Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the pastry sheet leaving a 1/2 inch border along the longer sides. Cover the spinach mixture with thin slices of prosciutto.
Starting at a longer side, roll the pastry tightly and pinch the seam at the end. Wrap with plastic wrap. Freeze the logs for about an hour or until they are firm but not completely frozen. If you freeze them all the way, let them thaw slightly so they will be easier to cut.
Preheat oven to 425º.
Slice into 1/2 inch slices and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the pinwheels to make a clean cut.
- You can freeze these in a log or cut in slices and freeze the slices so that you take out just as many as you need.
- Check the time on baking as the thinner they are the less time they will take. Remove when they are golden brown.
- You can leave out the meat for a delicious vegetarian appetizer.
- For the flakiest pinwheels, use a puff pastry that is made with butter like dufour or Trader Joes.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 95mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1147IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg