Who doesn’t love Chex Mix, but Chex mix with white chocolate is amazing! This sweet and salty snack, filled with three kinds of cereal, pretzels and M&M’s mixed together with white chocolate, is hard to put down. White chocolate Chex mix is also fun to decorate for holidays.
I love white chocolate Chex mix around the holidays, crunchy, salty and sweet, it’s the perfect snack to munch on. You can make this traditional snack into a decadent sweet treat just by drizzling white chocolate over it. It’s so simple to make and you only need a microwave.
White chocolate party mix is one of those desserts I have to keep in the freezer or I’ll eat the entire batch.
What is White Chocolate Chex Mix
White chocolate party mix is just a combination of Chex cereal with pretzels and M&M’s coated with white chocolate. It sounds too simple to be as outstanding as it is. It’s also known around the internet as “Christmas Crack”. It’s different from Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow as those recipes use dark chocolate and are covered in powdered sugar.
Why you’ll love this Christmas Chex Mix Recipe
- Just 6 ingredients makes a scrumptious snack mix
- This same recipe can be tailored to all the holidays just change the sprinkles and the color of the M&Ms or throw in some peeps for Easter.
- Makes a great DIY gift.
- There’s white chocolate in it!
- It’s simple and quick to make and all you need is a bowl and a microwave.
Ingredients for White Chocolate Chex Christmas Mix
- Cereal – cheerios, rice and corn Chex are my go-to’s. Just be sure to use unsweetened options
- Pretzels – have fun deciding between sticks or different shapes
- M&M’s – the peanut M&M’s give a great additional crunch if you’re ok with peanuts
- White chocolate – go with a good quality chocolate to really pull together the snack
Christmas Chex Mix Substitutions and Additions
- You can change it up and use peanut M&Ms or Caramel M&Ms. If you can find holiday M&Ms that’s a nice touch.
- You can totally choose the cereal combination. Be sure it’s unsweetened.
- Add nuts if you like them.
- Don’t leave out the pretzels, you need the salt with the sweet.
- Try to use the best white chocolate you can find, I use Ghiradelli Premium White Chocolate Baking Bars or Lindt White Chocolate Bars if I’m feeling decadent
How to make White Chocolate Chex Mix
Step 1: Pick your ingredients. I use two types of Chex cereal, rice and corn and add some Cheerios and Christmas shaped pretzels. If you’re making it on other occasions, use any shape of pretzels. Next add a couple of handfuls of M&Ms.
Step 2: Warm up the white chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for about 3 minutes stirring every 30 seconds and drizzle it over your mixture, stir and pour it out onto a cookie sheet. Let it sit for a while so that the white chocolate can harden and break it into bite size clumps.
Nana loves white chocolate so I’m sending her some to enjoy over the holidays. The rest will go into goodie bags for friends. I have to admit it was hard not to eat all the crumbs while I was taking the photos!
Other ingredients to try
- Popped popcorn
- Frosted animal cookies
- Dry-roasted peanuts
- Butterscotch Chips
- Autumn mix candy corn
- Caramel corn
- Colorful marshmallows
Gift Packaging for Holiday Chex Mix
Giving a homemade treat to someone is always a great gift idea! The gesture is thoughtful, everyone loves something homemade. Here’s a couple of ways to package your gift.
- Fill a glass mason jar with the snack mix, and put a small gift tag on the top.
- Use a decorative cellophane bag that you tie with a ribbon and add a tag to.
- Ziploc often makes decorative bags during the holidays to up your giving game.
- An airtight disposable container can use be used and you can tape a small note with it.
Don’t forget about this at other times of the year, it’s great for your college student who might need a care package, or to add to an Easter Basket. You can even take it to the pool. It won’t melt as quick as regular chocolate but it will get melty if left out in the heat. This freezes great for those times when you need a sweet snack or have friends stop by.
And don’t forget Valentines Day!
Is White Chocolate really Chocolate?
White chocolate is not officially a chocolate because it doesn’t contain chocolate solids. It’s made of sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla, milk products and lecithin. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a delicious, rich product that makes the perfect dessert like white chocolate caramel bark or tiger butter.
Chex Mix with White Chocolate FAQs
The Chex mix can be stored at room temperature for about two weeks.
White chocolate party mix is just a combination of Chex cereal with pretzels and M&M’s coated with white chocolate. It sounds too simple to be as outstanding as it is.
No, almond bark is not white chocolate and has a completely different taste and texture. Almond bark is a confectionery and is created using vegetable fats instead of cocoa butter.
Chex mix needs to be stored in an airtight container. If it’s soggy, it’s because it has been left out too long and has become stale. Store this in a sealed bag or container and if it’s hot, keep it in the refrigerator or freezer to keep the chocolate from getting soft.
Are you looking for more treats to give as GIFTS
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Chex Mix with White Chocolate
- 3 cups Cheerios
- 3 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 3 cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 2 cups M&M’s
- 24 ounces white chocolate chopped
- Place a sheet of parchment paper in a lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine cereal, pretzels, and M&M’s.
- Place chopped white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on 50% power for 3-4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until it is smooth.
- Drizzle over cereal mixture and stir until all pieces are completely covered. Pour onto prepared pan and let it sit until cool about an hour. Once it has hardened, break into bite size pieces.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Change up the sprinkles and M&M to match the occasion like stars for 4th of July, Easter egg M&M’s in the Spring, or Christmas sprinkles around the holidays.
- You can use any combination of unsweetened cereal.
- Try adding nuts or more pretzels, the salt is a great combination with the sweet white chocolate.
- When melting the white chocolate, make sure you are melting at 50% power in the microwave and stirring every 30 seconds.
- Don’t leave out the pretzels, you need the salt with the sweet.
- Try to use the best white chocolate you can find, I use Ghiradelli Premium White Chocolate Baking Bars or Lindt White Chocolate Bars if I’m feeling decadent.
Loved this recipe! Would you know if I can make ahead and freeze it? Would it be okay when defrost?
Barbara Curry says
You can definitely freeze this, I always have a bag in my freezer!