Macaroni and Cheese from Poole\’s Diner
Macaroni and Cheese from Poole’s Diner is a classic with a creamy base and crusty cheese on top. Comfort food at it’s BEST.
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: side
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 6 ounces dry elbow macaroni, 1 ¼ cups
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 6 ounces whtie cheddar, grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- sea salt
- In a medium pot, bring 2 quarts of water and salt to a boil. Add pasta and boil until it is al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and place on a rimmed baking sheet to cool, sprinkle with vegetable oil.
- Combine cheese in a bowl, reserving 60% for the top.
- In a large deep saucepan, bring the cream and 1 teaspoon sea salt to a boil. Let simmer for about 2 minutes. The cream will foam and then subside. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally for about 90 seconds. It will start to thicken just slightly. Add just 40% of cheese in small handfuls, stirring and waiting after each addition until completely melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Transfer to a baking dish and and add cheese to the top. Place on a baking sheet under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, rotating throughout until cheese melts and is golden brown. Remove and let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving.