This particular version has caramelized onions and gruyere which I think are a heavenly combination . However, you can leave them out completely if you don’t have 30 minutes to caramelize your onions and substitute green onions and whatever cheese you like. What I’ve been doing lately is to make a large batch of caramelized onions and refrigerate them. Then they’re ready to add to quiche or biscuits as needed. If you need to read up on how to caramelize onions, check out my technique for French Onion Rounds.
Of course you can leave them plain and just serve them with butter and you can’t go wrong.
How to make biscuits:
Biscuits with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere
Mile high biscuits with caramelized onions and cheese are easier to make than you think. They’re the best for breakfast or brunch, all by themselves but even better with bacon! Check out my tips for PERFECT biscuits every time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 12-15 1x
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces gruyere
- ½ cup carmelized onions, 1-2 onions
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon cream
1. Preheat oven to 425º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a food processor, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Process until combined. Add cold butter and process until it resembles coarse meal. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cheese and onions and stir to combine.
3. Add buttermilk and mix lightly just until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle. Cut into 4ths and stack each fourth on top of each other. Pat into a rectangle and repeat 3 more times.
4. Pat or roll dough to 1 inch thickness. Using a 21/2 inch round cutter, cut dough without twisting. Place on prepared pan and freeze for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from freezer. Beat egg and cream together in a small bowl. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with pepper.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
Can substitute green onions and cheddar or leave onions and cheese out completely.