What makes these yeast rolls the BEST
How do you make fluffy yeast rolls
- Make a flour paste and add to milk, flour and egg and knead in a stand mixer. Let sit for 15 minutes before adding sugar and softened butter.
- Let it rise for an hour.
- Cut the dough into 24 strips, roll them up and place in a cake pan.
- Let rise for an hour and bake.
What type of flour should you use for the fluffiest yeast roll
Bread flour is used in this recipe. Bread flour has more protein than all purpose flour which allows it to rise higher, it can absorb more liquid which causes it to rise upward. You can substitute all purpose flour and still get amazing rolls, they just might not be as light and fluffy as those made with bread flour. I generally will use King Arthur’s which is unbleached.
Can you refrigerate the dough before baking
If you want to make these the day before, refrigerate the dough once you have rolled them into cylinders and placed in the cake pan. They can get the second rise overnight. Remove from the refrigerator and let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
Can you Freeze Fluffy Dinner Rolls
All yeast rolls freeze well after baking. First let them cool then wrap in aluminum foil and place in resealable plastic bag to keep any air out. Reheat in foil at 325º for about 10 minutes.
More easy YEAST roll recipes
- For a sour cream dough, try Sour Cream Yeast Rolls made into a knot
- Add some onions for a sturdier Pull Apart Roll
- Want a sweeter role, add pineapple juice for Hawaiian Rolls
- Use left over mashed potatoes for Mashed Potato Rolls
If you make Fluffy Dinner Rolls, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
I might receive income from links that you click on. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Fluffy Dinner Rolls
- FLOUR PASTE
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons bread flour
- ½ cup cold milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- ½ tablespoon butter melted
- Whisk water and flour together in a microwave safe bowl until there are no lumps. Microwave, whisking every 20 seconds until mixture thickens to a stiff, smooth, pudding like consistency. (if it gets too thick, add a little water and whisk until it is smooth)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the paste with milk until smooth, then whisk in the egg. Add flour and yeast and mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until all the flour is incorporated, about 2 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and salt and mix on medium-low speed for 5 minutes, then add softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time until incorporated and continue to mix for an additional 5 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, it will be sticky. Knead briefly to form a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with tall sides. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and press gently to remove the air. Pat and stretch to form an 8 inch by 9 inch rectangle. With the short side facing you, cut dough into 4 equal strips and cut each strip into 3 equal pieces. Work with one piece at a time and press it into an 8 inch by 2 inch strip. Starting at one end roll each strip into a tight cylinder. Place seam side down in prepared pan, pointing inward. Place 10 around the pan and 2 in the center.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Bake until deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes and then remove and brush with melted butter and let cool slightly before serving.