Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with just a little cream and asiago is an amazing dish you can get on the table in 30 minutes. The mushrooms, mustard and white wine, make an ordinary chicken night into a lick-your-plate night.
Taylor came home for dinner recently, so I wanted to try something new, quick and different. She loves mushrooms so I made this recipe using wine instead of chicken broth and whole grain mustard. They almost licked their plates and made me promise I would not change anything about the recipe. The sauce was just right, a little creamy, but not too rich. The wine gave it a great flavor along with the mushrooms.
I think it would have been just a little better had I not let my fresh thyme die. This late in the summer, I tend to forget to water my outdoor plants and when I went out to cut some, it was all brown. They agreed that I could make that one change next time. I think I will be getting many more requests for this simple but flavorful chicken dish.
Adapted from Laughing Spatula
Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups white wine substitute chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry
- ½ cup asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- ½ cup cream
- In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil on medium high heat. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and sauté in butter/olive oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the same pan and sauté until mushrooms start to soften. Add white wine and thyme, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add cream, asiago, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken back to pan and let it simmer until sightly thickened for about 2 minutes.