Shortbread Toffee Bars have a buttery shortbread crust covered with sweetened condensed milk and milk chocolate and topped with toffee bits and pecans. An EASY dessert bar with a rich toffee flavor.
I needed something other than cookies to take to Natalie for our mother-daughter weekend and these simple shortbread toffee bars with milk chocolate and toffee pieces seemed like a good idea. Taylor tested them for me and claimed they were “to die for”. I like the combination of a buttery shortbread crust with creamy chocolate. Since they’re pretty sweet with sweetened condensed milk and toffee, I added some salted pecans to cut the sweetness.
What do you need to make chocolate shortbread toffee bars
You only need 8 ingredients: butter, brown sugar, flour, sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate chips, toffee pieces and pecans. You will need also need an electric mixer to make the shortbread but a hand held will work and you need a square baking pan. If you can’t find Heath English Toffee Bits, you can use a couple of Heath candy bars and crush them. I can generally find the toffee bits in the baking aisle or you can order them on Amazon.
How do you make Shortbread Toffee Bars
Step 1: Line your pan with parchment, these are sticky and you’ll have a hard time getting them out of the pan if you don’t line it with parchment or foil.
Step 2: Beat the butter and brown sugar and then add flour, mix until it looks like cookie dough. Press the shortbread into the pan and bake.
Step 3: Pour sweetened condensed milk mixed with a little butter over the hot shortbread and bake 12 minutes.
Step 4: Add milk chocolate chips to the top and put it back in the oven until they melt, then spread the chocolate until it’s smooth and top with toffee bits and pecans.
Step 5: Cool completely before cutting.
These turned out to be a winner, they are a great dessert bar to share with friends. Even better with a glass of milk or cup of tea/coffee.
What’s the difference between TOFFEE and CARAMEL
The terms are sometimes used interchangeably but in general, toffee is just sugar and butter and is crunchy, while caramel is made with cream and is soft and chewy. The flavors are similar but distinct. A toffee is what you make when making Chocolate Caramel Bark which you can break apart, while Vanilla Caramels are soft and chewy. For either, it’s helpful to have a candy thermometer.
Can you freeze shortbread toffee DESSERT BARS
There is no problem freezing these toffee bars. Just let thaw for a few minutes and they taste just as good as when you first cut them. I can’t think of any dessert bar or cookie that doesn’t freeze well. I love being able to go to the freezer and grab just one cookie or bar. While they freeze well, I would not suggest shipping shortbread toffee bars. With the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate they will be a gooey mess upon arrival. Instead, try shipping Fudgy Chocolate Brownies, or Gooey Bars, the oatmeal gives them more stability. White Chocolate Chex Mix is also perfect for shipping along with Chocolate Chip Cookies with Browned Butter.
MORE dessert bars
- Apricot Bars when you’re in the mood for a fruity dessert
- For a more elegant dessert, try Pistachio Lemon Bars
- Cookie Dough Brownies when you can’t decide between cookie dough or a brownie
- Pecan Pie Bars, all the delicious flavor in bar form
Shortbread Toffee Bars
- ¾ cup butter room temp
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk choc chip
- ½ cup toffee pieces
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until combined, add flour and mix. It should look like cookie dough. Press into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Combine condensed milk and butter in microwave safe bowl and microwave until the butter is just melted, about 1-2 minutes. Pour over shortbread and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes until it is bubbly and starting to turn brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. Remove and using an off-set spatula, spread the chocolate chips evenly over the top. Sprinkle with toffee bits and chopped pecans and press them into the chocolate mixture. Let cool completely. Refrigerate before cutting.