Since I love coconut, coating them in toasted coconut was a no brainer. However, you could coat them in nuts or cocoa powder or leave them without a coating at all.
I think you’ll find that these have just enough sweetness to feel like you’re treating yourself but with so many healthy ingredients that your body will thank you. I store them in the freezer and then grab a few for my morning snack.
Healthy and delicious Energy Bites made with dates, walnuts, almond butter and dried cherries are great for when you need a pick-me-up. Sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup and rolled in coconut, these will become a new favorite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 34 1x
- Category: dessert
- 2 cups large pitted dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- ¼ cup maple almond butter, (or add a teaspoon of maple syrup if using regular almond butter)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
1. Toast coconut until golden brown, it will not take long.
2. In a food processor, add chopped walnuts or process whole walnuts first. Then add pitted dates and process until the nuts are chopped very small. Add the rest of the ingredients except the coconut. Pulse a few times then process for 1-2 minutes, until it starts to come together. If it does not easily form into balls, add a little more almond butter.
3. Using a 1 tablespoon ice cream scoop or your hands, roll into 34 walnut sized balls. Roll in toasted coconut and refrigerate or freeze.