How to caramelize onions:
French Onion Rounds
French onion soup that you can eat with your hands! Crostini topped with caramelized onions and cheese will be your new FAVORITE appetizer.
- Prep Time: 400 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 6 hours 55 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ½ cups yellow onions, about 3–4 onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 cup beef broth
- baguette, sliced inot 1/2 inch slices
- 8 ounces gruyere, 2 cups
1. Add butter and olive oil to a large skillet with a lid and cook over medium heat. Toss onions and cover for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, stir in salt and sugar and cook an additional 15 minutes until golden brown. Pour in cognac and beef broth and turn heat up. Simmer until it has reduced, about 15 minutes. Adjust salt if needed and add pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 375º. Line a baking sheet with Parchment paper.
3. Add a large spoonful of onions onto each bread slice and top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has started to brown.
You can make the onions in advance and refrigerate until needed.