White chocolate blondies taste just like Christmas. With a bit of crushed candy canes in the blondie and more in the frosting, it’s the perfect amount of peppermint for this festive treat.
Keep a batch in the freezer, for hostess gifts.
It’s Christmas week so why not bake something with candy canes. You can’t go wrong with peppermint brownies, but if you like a buttery chewy dessert bar, try a white chocolate peppermint blondie. White chocolate and a peppermint frosting make these extra special.
The blondies themselves are pretty standard with butter and white chocolate chips, but they have a small amount of crushed candy canes in the batter itself. They’re finished off with a layer of peppermint frosting and then topped with crushed candy canes. I gave one to a friend to try and she said they tasted just like Christmas. 🎄
My mom and mother-in-law are hard to shop for, they really don’t need anything. So, I thought about buying them a subscription box of desserts but then decided that it would be more fun to do my own subscription box and send them a special treat each month. So I packaged these and sent them in the mail for their first Christmas box. They were a big hit!
I wasn’t sure how they would ship with the frosting but since it’s so cold out they were fine. I would not recommend shipping these in the summer or if you are sending them to a warm climate. Send brown butter blondies instead.
Why you’ll love it
- Blondies are easy to make!
- This chewy brownie like bar is filled with white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy canes.
- It’s nice to have a Christmas treat that’s not a cookie this time of year.
- It’s a great gift for teachers and neighbors or freinds.
- These freeze well so you can have something sweet when you have unexpected guests.
What you’ll need
- White chocolate chips – I love white chocolate in almost anything
- Candy canes or peppermint candies – you’ll need about 12 candy canes
- Pantry items – butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla
- For the Frosting you’ll need butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cream and peppermint extract.
Pro tip: to remove the plastic from a candy cane, just break the candy cane in half and the plastic will just come right off.
How do you make white chocolate blondies
Step 1 – Blondies
Crush the candy canes in a plastic bag.
Cream butter and sugar and add eggs, vanilla and salt. Add flour, white chocolate chips and half of the crushed candy canes.
Bake for about 20 minutes, remove and let cool.
Step 4 – Peppermint Frosting
For the frosting beat butter and powdered sugar together. Next add vanilla, peppermint extract and cream.
Spread the peppermint frosting on the cooled blondies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Refrigerate until the frosting has set.
Pro tip: To freeze, place on a baking sheet and freeze. Then place in an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers.
Still looking for more peppermint desserts, try this easy, no-fail peppermint fudge.
FAQs and tips
Blondies are more of a buttery dessert bar, where brownies, tend to be more cake like with an intense chocolate flavor.
Break the candy cane in half and the plastic will just peel right off.
If you bake blondies too long, they can turn out cake like. When you start to see the edges of the blondies turn golden brown, take them out of the oven and let them finish cooking as they sit.
Frosted blondies can be frozen. Freeze them on a baking sheet and once frozen, place in an airtight container separated with parchment paper.
If they are unfrosted, they ship beautifully. If frosted, only ship in the colder months.
More holiday treats you’ll love
Adapted from Southern Living December 2016
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
White Chocolate Blondies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candies about 12 candy canes
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with parchment and grease with butter.
- Combine butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until incorporated. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add flour on low speed, mixing until just combined. Stir in white chocolate chips and ½ cup of crushed peppermint candy.
- Spread in prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes. Cool completely in the pan.
- Prepare icing: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and peppermint extract in medium bowl and beat with hand held mixer. Add in cream and beat until it is a spreadable consistency. Spread over top of blondies and then sprinkle with reserved peppermint.
- Refrigerate to let icing set, then cut.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper to make it easy to remove.
- Refrigerate after adding the frosting so that it will set.
- To freeze, place on a baking sheet and freeze. Then place in an airtight container with parchment paper between the layers.
Leave a Reply