New Potatoes, Crushed and Roasted are first boiled and then crushed before roasting in the oven. They are like mashed potatoes with crispy edges. Easy to make and everyone can top the way they like. A great versatile side to almost any dish.
While driving to Pinehurst this weekend, I asked Natalie to help me come up with something to have with the Chicken and Sundried Tomatoes that I was going to make for dinner. She whipped out her phone and went to The Pioneer Woman’s website to see what she could find.
I’ve never made any of her recipes that failed. She chose a crushed and roasted new potato recipe. I love roasted potatoes so I was sure these would be wonderful.
The recipe takes a little more time as you boil the potatoes first. (You can also cook them first in the microwave) We had pretty large potatoes so it took a while. Once they are tender, you crush them and drizzle with olive oil and roast until nice and crispy. These are a little easier if you use smaller potatoes. We tried them plain and with a little cheddar and liked them both ways. Add a little rosemary to make them even better. We loved how crunchy they were. Boiling the potatoes first, allows them to get extra crispy in the oven.
How to make crispy crushed and roasted new potatoes
Step 1: Boil the new potatoes until fork tender.
Step 2: Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Step 3: Use a potato masher or the bottom of a mug to gently mash the potatoes. Drizzle with more olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary and bake for 20 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and add cheese.
More POTATO recipes
- Roasted potatoes with crispy onions
- Potato salad with roasted potatoes
- Perfect mashed potatoes
- Super crunchy roasted potatoes
- Smashed potatoes with bacon
What goes great with roasted new potatoes
If you make crushed and roasted new potatoes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
New Potatoes Crushed and Roasted
- 12 small new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until they are fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 450º and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Generously drizzle olive oil on parchment paper. Place cooked potatoes on the sheet pan leaving plenty of room between each potato.
- With a potato masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each crushed potato with more olive oil. Sprinkle potatoes with salt, pepper and fresh chopped rosemary.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and add cheddar cheese if desired.
Made these. Great new side for my family.👍👍
Barbara Curry says
Glad you liked them, I love the crispy edges.