Loaded mashed potatoes are a quick and easy weeknight side dish that’s made in the microwave for those nights when you have a hungry crowd and need potatoes in ten minutes. Bacon and crispy French’s fried onions give this dish all the flavor you could ask for.
Don’t have time for yukon gold mashed potatoes, (the best mashed potatoes ever) then loaded mashed potatoes in the microwave are going to be your best friend. A chunkier version of mashed potatoes with bacon and all the fixins.
The flavors are those of classic loaded potato skins that are served with sour cream, green onions and bacon. However, this mashed potato recipe is creamier than potato skins and chunkier then mashed potatoes. The best of both worlds.
While this recipe for loaded mashed potatoes is awesome by itself, the best part might be the crispy French’s fried onions that you’ll add to the the top right before serving. I’m not sure how they make these, but they are kind of magical.
Of course, if you have time, then there is nothing better than homemade crispy onions, but you’ll need to plan for about 30 minutes. Totally worth it and you can make them in advance like I do when I’m making a green bean casserole. Whichever you choose, don’t leave them off, you’ll love the crispy combined with the creamy new potatoes.
Unlike my traditional mashed potato recipe that uses Yukon gold potatoes, or twice baked potato casserole that uses russet potatoes, this potato side dish uses new potatoes or red potatoes due to their thin skins and sweetness. They will cook quickly in the microwave which is what you need for a weeknight dinner, or last minute side dish.
While they might not look as elegant as some potato casseroles, microwave mashed potatoes will be a big hit as a Thanksgiving side dish and will not tie up the stove or oven. I have even more ideas for what to serve with mashed potatoes.
Why should you make them
- You don’t have to peel the potatoes
- You don’t have to boil water, cook the potatoes in the microwave instead
- They have bacon mixed in along with butter and sour cream
- You can make them start to finish in 15 minutes
- They taste AWESOME
What you’ll need
- New potatoes – I use medium sized red new potatoes, but any new potato will work.
- Bacon – crisp this up in a skillet in advance. I love the flavor that pepper bacon adds.
- Green onions – add a great flavor.
- Butter and sour cream – this gives them that loaded potato taste.
- French’s Fried onions – for the perfect crispy topping
How do you make this incredibly QUICK and EASY loaded mashed potato recipe
Fry the bacon in a skillet and drain on a paper towel.
Microwave new potatoes, skin and all and mash with a potato masher.
While mashing the potatoes, add butter and sour cream, to that add green onions and crispy bacon.
Top with French’s fried onions right before serving.
If you want to make this in advance, wait to add the bacon and fried onions until right before serving. To re-heat it, cover with plastic wrap and microwave, stirring occasionally until it is heated through.
You can store this in the refrigerator for about 3-5 days. You can freeze it, but the butter and sour cream may separate when it is thawed.
Microwave mashed potato FAQs
Red potatoes have thin skins and are the perfect size for the microwave. Larger potatoes are not going to cook evenly.
Using a mixer, will keep them from being soft and fluffy. If you don’t have a potato masher you can use the back of a large spoon.
Since the skins are so thin, you will hardly even notice them once they’ve been mashed.
What can you SERVE with Smashed Potatoes
- They are great if you’re having burgers or hot dogs
- Whip up a batch while you’re making chicken with shallots
- Great with chicken drumsticks with a peach glaze
- The perfect compliment to slow cooker ribs
Looking for MORE potato side dish recipes
You can never have enough potato casseroles, whether it’s rich au gratin potatoes or scalloped potatoes. For a savory appetizer try potato bites wrapped in bacon or grilled potato wedges. If you like your potatoes crispy, they you can’t beat super crunchy roasted potatoes. The Best Oven Roasted Crispy Potatoes or New potatoes with crispy onions are always a hit and go with any main dish as well as roasted new potatoes or roasted potato salad.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 5-6 medium new potatoes
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ pound bacon 5-6 slices
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup French’s fried onions
- Wash and poke the potatoes with a fork. Microwave for 6 minutes until tender. Place in a large bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add softened butter, green onions, bacon and sour cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add French’s fried onions right before serving and sprinkle some on top.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Don’t over cook the potatoes. They are done when you squeeze them and the skin breaks open.
- Try to use potatoes that are close the the same size. If some are smaller, remove them first.
- If you are making this ahead of time, wait to add the bacon and fried onions until right before serving.
- To warm up, cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave.