Smashed potatoes are a quick and easy weeknight side dish for those nights when you have a hungry crowd and need potatoes in ten minutes. Bacon and crispy French’s fried onions give this dish all the flavor you could ask for.
Don’t have time for mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes are going to be your best friend. A chunkier version of mashed potatoes with bacon mixed in. The flavors are those of the classic loaded potato skins that are served with sour cream, green onions and bacon. However, this mashed potato recipe is creamier than potato skins and chunkier then mashed potatoes. The best of both worlds.
Our favorite part is to add crispy French’s fried onions to the mix and then on top right before serving. If you have time, then there is nothing better than homemade crispy onions, but you’ll need to plan for about 30 minutes. Totally worth it and you can make them in advance like I do when I’m making a green bean casserole.
Why should you make SMASHED POTATOES
- You don’t have to peel the potatoes
- You don’t have to boil water, cook the potatoes in the microwave instead
- They have bacon mixed in along with butter and sour cream
- You can make them start to finish in 15 minutes
- They taste AWESOME
What do you need for chunky mashed potatoes
Just a few ingredients for such an amazing side dish. Start with new potatoes. You’ll need butter and sour cream, bacon, green onions and French’s fried onions.
How do you make this incredibly QUICK and EASY side dish
Step 1: Microwave new potatoes, skin and all and mash with a potato masher.
Step 2: While mashing the potatoes, add butter and sour cream, to that add green onions and cooked bacon.
Step 3: Top with French’s fried onions right before serving.
What can you SERVE with Smashed Potatoes
- They are great if you are having Burgers or Hot Dogs
- Whip up a batch while your chicken is roasting
- Great with Chicken Drumsticks with a peach glaze
- The perfect compliment to slow cooker ribs
Looking for MORE potato recipes
You can never have enough potato dishes, whether it’s a rich au gratin totatoes or a savory appetizer like potato bites wrapped in bacon. New potatoes with crispy onions are always a hit as are roasted new potatoes along with Roasted Potato Salad.
If you make Smashed Potatoes, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
- 5-6 medium new potatoes
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ pound bacon 5-6 slices
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup French’s fried onions
- Wash and poke the potatoes with a fork. Microwave for 6 minutes until tender. Place in a large bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add softened butter, green onions, bacon and sour cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add French’s fried onions right before serving and sprinkle some on top.