Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake has a cream cheese layer throughout giving it a moist texture. Strawberry jam mixed in makes it perfect for breakfast or brunch any time of the year.
It won’t be long until we have fresh strawberries from States south of us, until then Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is the perfect breakfast addition. With strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese layer, it’s almost like strawberry cheesecake.
Last week we had both girls and a friend here for one night before we went to DC for a few days. With three extra people in the house, I had the perfect excuse to try out two breakfast items I had been waiting to try, this coffee cake and Cream Cheese Banana Bread. Both are fantastic and ones you’ll want to try.
What is COFFEE CAKE
Coffee Cake is a simple cake without frosting meant to be served with coffee or tea. They are so popular because you can bake it and eat it right away, either warm or at room temperature. Most will have a streusel topping like my Streusel Coffee Cake, some come with a cream cheese swirl. I like to make them when I have overnight guests or for brunch. It’s also great to take to work for a morning snack because it’s not too sweet but just what you want to go with your tea or coffee.
How to make the BEST homemade cream cheese coffee cake
There are four parts to this easy coffee cake recipe: the cake, the cream cheese filling, strawberry jam and the topping.
- The cake is nothing fancy, just the basic cake ingredients plus greek yogurt for extra moisture..
- The filling is cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and an egg, mixed together with a hand mixer.
- Strawberry Jam use your favorite or make your own.
- The topping is flour, butter and sugar.
Once you have the four parts together, you will assemble starting with ½ of the cake layer. On top of the cake, spread the cream cheese mixture and then the strawberry mixture. Next dollop the remaining cake batter on top and sprinkle the topping over the cake batter.
This coffee cake is slightly sweet from the strawberry jam, but not overly sweet and we didn’t think it needed a frosting or glaze. It was perfect without it, just some tea or coffee is all we needed for a fabulous breakfast treat and later, an afternoon snack. The cream cheese filling made it super moist. It’s easy to over cook this, so watch it closely. If you cook it too long the outside will get a little dry. The toothpick test can be a little deceiving because the cream cheese part will be a little creamy.
This is something that needs to be eaten the day it’s made or maybe the day after. Much longer and the cake part dries out. If you have some fresh strawberries on hand slice them up and garnish your cake with a few pieces to enjoy!
How long do strawberries last in the fridge
Did you pick up some fresh strawberries and don’t want them to turn moldy before you can eat them? Then read on for information about how long strawberries last in the fridge and steps you can take to make them last longer!
More homemade Coffee Cakes
- Peach Streusel Coffee Cake with fresh peaches
- Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake made in a bundt pan
- Cherry and Raspberry Coffee Cake for a yeast base cake
Looking for more STRAWBERRY recipes
- Go all out and make a Strawberry Cake
- In a hurry, try a simple Strawberry Cobbler
- If you want something less sweet, then try Strawberry Scones
- Impress everyone with this fabulous Strawberry Braid
Adapted form Melanie Makes
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 ounces cream cheese light or regular
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ⅛ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly spray an 8 x 8 inch pan with cooking spray.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until combined. Set aside.
- CAKE: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, vanilla and yogurt and mix until combined. Add flour, baking powder, soda and salt just until combined, do not over mix.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the top.
- Microwave jam for about a minute so that it is easily spreadable. Spread onto the top of the cream cheese layer. Top with dollops of the remaining cake batter.
- Combine topping using a pastry blender or your fingers to cut the butter into the sugar and flour mixture. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and it is slightly brown on top. Do not over cook.