This is truly the very BEST Streusel Coffee Cake you’ll ever find. It’s so moist and buttery with rich streusel filling in every bite. You’ll never make another coffee cake after trying this one!
There are certain foods that I like because of what you remember eating as a child. I can’t really remember eating streusel coffee cake that often, but when we did, it contained a cinnamon brown sugar butter streusel topping. So anything else to me just doesn’t measure up.
You’ll find some streusel coffee cake recipes with just a sliver of streusel, that is not this recipe. With all the butter, I promise this will not be dry!
Well this recipe is my “go to” coffee cake recipe. It has tons of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on the top that oozes down into the cake so that you get some in every bite. While I love the streusel part, others love the cake part, it is super moist. You really can’t mess this up, so feel safe ,making it for breakfast or brunch especially when you have a crowd. It makes a lot and is pretty rich from all the butter, so it will go a long way. I’m not sure why, but sometimes the streusel falls to the bottom and sometimes it hangs out in the middle, it’s fabulous where ever it ends up.
How do you make the BEST Streusel Coffee Cake
Step 1: First make the batter which has plenty of butter and whole milk to keep it moist and whipped egg whites folded in at the end.
Step 2: Second, prepare this amazing streusel topping. Nothing unusual, just butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and pecans. The Streusel goes on the top and as it cooks it falls into the batter.
I’ve made this several times, and never managed to get a photo. When I took it to work last week and had several requests for the recipe, I thought it was time to post it. I made this the first time for Natalie when she was in high school and having a review session with her Euro class. I sent it in with the caveat that they had to get some good i-phone shots. Everyone was too busy eating to take a photo. At least I had an excuse to make it again. Which I have over and over again because everyone is always asking for it.
If you like coffee cake with a brown sugar butter streusel, you can stop searching for the perfect recipe. This coffee cake is great to take to work for a morning meeting or to serve at your next brunch. It’s great slightly warm but still delicious at room temperature.
More COFFEE CAKE recipes
- Peach Streusel Coffee Cake using fresh or frozen peaches
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake uses strawberry jam, great when there’s no fresh fruit around
- Cherry and Raspberry Coffee Cake, has no streusel but is delicious
Breakfast recipes to feed a crowd
- Try a batch of blueberry streusel muffins
- Sheet pan pancakes are a great way to serve pancakes to everyone at the same time
- Make a batch of cinnamon rolls
- Crispy French toast sticks are a big hit in our house
If you make Streusel Coffee Cake, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1½ sticks butter softened (3/4 cup)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 3 egg whites beaten until stiff
- 1½ sticks butter softened (3/4 cup)
- ¾ cup flour
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1½ cups pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter a large 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat egg whites and set aside
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until combined. Don't over beat. Fold in egg whites with a rubber spatula. Spread into pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. With a pastry cutter add butter and combine until crumbly. Sprinkle all over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until no longer jiggly.