Taco spaghetti is a super easy and quick weeknight dinner you can make in just ONE POT in less than 30 minutes! A meal the whole family will love.
When you’re having one of those nights where you can’t come up with anything quick and easy for dinner, try out this one pot taco spaghetti recipe. If you keep your pantry stocked, the only thing you’ll need to pick up is the meat and cheese. The best part is you only need one pot, the uncooked pasta cooks with the sauce.
Taco Spaghetti Casserole in 30 Minutes!
This is great for a busy night or for folks with limited cooking facilities. You can have dinner in 30 minutes.
While I love complicated recipes with lots of steps, I don’t want to tackle one on a weeknight. Weeknights are for easy dinners that don’t require any thought, are versatile in using any protein you have on hand and this pasta dish fits the bill.
If you want more of an Italian flare, try making a baked chicken spaghetti to change things up.
One Pot Taco Spaghetti ingredients
- Ground turkey, chicken or beef – all three make a great taco spaghetti casserole.
- Taco Seasoning – one packet of your favorite or make your own.
- Chipotle chili pepper – this is optional but it will give it a little kick.
- Ro-Tel Tomatoes and chilies – I love this brand for the convenience of both ingredients in one can. You will need all the liquid in the can.
- Tomato paste – keep a tube in the refrigerator, it has a pretty long shelf life.
- Pasta– any type of spaghetti will work, I like the thicker bucatini pasta.
- Cheese – try a mixture of cheddar and pepper jack or you don’t want it spicy use Monterey Jack instead.
How to make Taco Spaghetti
Start by browning the hamburger/ground turkey.
Dump everything but the cheese in the pot, including the uncooked pasta.
Bring it to a boil, cover and let it cool for 15 minutes. Take off the lid, sprinkle with cheese and you’re done.
I use spicy taco seasoning and it adds just enough heat to get your attention. However, I’ve also used regular taco seasoning and added chipotle powder, just a little better. Then I stumbled upon this recipe for making your own and it’s the best. The combination from Foodology Geek is the one I use now with just the perfect proportion of seasonings.
What to serve with the Best Taco Spaghetti Recipe
How to store Taco Spaghetti (One Pot Recipe)
Tips for reheating Taco Spaghetti Casserole
Pasta casseroles are best reheated in the oven, covered in aluminum foil.. You can also microwave a smaller portion.
Taco Spaghetti Recipe FAQs
What type of pot works best for one taco spaghetti?
A dutch oven works great for this, if not, any large pot will work.
Do you drain the liquid from the tomatoes?
No, do not drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes, the pasta needs the liquid.
Can you use beef instead of ground chicken or turkey?
Beef is great in this dish, however, you may need to drain the grease before adding the other ingredients.
What kind of cheese should you for a spaghetti casserole?
A mixture of cheeses adds more flavor, so use a cheddar and a pepper jack.
Can you freeze taco spaghetti?
Yes, to reheat, let it come to room temperature and microwave or cover and reheat in the oven at 350º for about 10 minutes.
What else can you make with taco seasoning
If you’re looking for some additional quick and easy dinner ideas, take a look at these:
- Ranch Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes for a sheet pan dinner.
- For an easy pasta dish, try Lemon Chicken Penne.
- You can’t go wrong with crispy Parmeson Crusted Chicken Fingers.
- Or Sriracha Mango Quesadilla with rotisserie chicken.
- Crispy nut crusted chicken is a favorite.
If you want more simple and delicious meals check out these pantry dinners.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Taco Spaghetti (One Pot Recipe)
- 1 lb ground beef/chicken/turkey
- 1 1.25 ounce package taco seasoning 4 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 10 ounces Diced tomatoes and green chilies Ro Tel
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese grated
- fresh cilantro
- Cook ground meat of choice in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat until browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and ground chipotle.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, uncooked spaghetti and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until pasta has cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Do not drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes, you will need it for the pasta to cook in.
- You can use ground beef but ground chicken/turkey are great options also. If using ground beef, you may need to drain the grease before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- This is even better with homemade taco seasoning, for a recipe check out Foodology Geek, her’s is my favorite.