Chili with Sweet Potatoes has all of the fall flavors, not only sweet potatoes but pumpkin puree. You’ll love that you can put this together in just 30 minutes and it’s still packed with flavor.
I love chilis that cook all day like short rib chili or slow cooker chicken chili, but there are times when you want chili and don’t want to wait. Chili with sweet potatoes can be ready in about an hour. There’s a sweet and spicy combination with the sweet coming from sweet potatoes, pumpkin and apple cider.
You can substitute chicken or turkey for beef for a healthier meal. No beans in this version. of course you can add them if you like beans in chili. Chili with sweet potatoes has tons of flavor without beans and without needing to simmer all day.
This needs to cook just long enough for the sweet potatoes to soften but not too long or they’ll be mush. If you cut them small you can be done in 30 minutes, large chunks will take about 45 minutes.
It’s full of fall flavors from not only the sweet potatoes but the pumpkin and apple cider. It still has enough of a kick from a jalapeno and chili powder to remind you that you’re eating chili but not so much that your eyes are watering.
What you’ll need
This has several ingredients, but you probably have most in your pantry.
- Ground beef, turkey or chicken
- Onion, garlic, jalapeno
- Cinnamon, coriander, chili powder
- Sweet potato
- Pumpkin puree
- Apple cider and chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Cinnamon, coriander, chili powder, brown sugar (optional)
How do you make chili with sweet potatoes
Step 1: In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the meat with the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Add sweet potatoes and seasoning and cook until the sweet potato is starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the liquid ingredients along with the pumpkin puree and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and let it cook until the sweet potatoes have softened but not so long that they are mushy. The time will depend on how big the sweet potato chunks are, about 30-45 minutes.
This is great for using up leftover pumpkin, it just takes a half a cup. It only takes a cup of apple cider so you’ll have enough to make apple cider muffins.
It’s 72 degrees in the Carolinas in the middle of December, so not exactly chili weather. However, last week it was in the high 20’s for my early morning runs, so I’m sure this won’t last and we’ll be ready for chili again at some point. My freezer always has individual servings of chili, it’s my favorite for lunch. This freezes great and is just as good re-heated.
Sweet Potato chili freezes great and is even better re-heated.
This is great with beef, chicken or turkey. It has so much flavor from the other ingredients that no one will be able to tell which meat you’ve chosen.
The time will depend on the size of the sweet potato chunks. If small it will take about 30 to 45 minutes. Cut them smaller if you are in a crunch for time.
More chili recipes you’ll love
- Cincinnati chili
- Chili with Kahlua
- Chili made in an instant pot
- Quick and easy chicken chili
- Slow cooker chicken chili
- Slow cooker salsa chili
What to serve with chili
Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato diced, about 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, ground beef, garlic and jalapeño. Cook until meat is browned and cooked through.
- Chop sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to chili with salt, cinnamon, coriander, chili powder and chipotle powder. Cook about 5 minutes until sweet potato softens slightly.
- Add chicken broth, cider, pumpkin and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until sweet potatoes are softened but not mushy, about 30-45 minutes.
- You can substitute ground chicken or turkey for the beef.
- You can add a can oof kidney beans when you add the chicken broth if desired
- You can freeze this.
- If you are in a hurry, dice the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.