Chili with sweet potatoes has all of the fall flavors, not only sweet potatoes, but pumpkin puree to make it nice and thick. You’ll love that you can put this together in just 30 minutes and it’s still packed with flavor.
I love chilis that cook all day like short rib chili or slow cooker chicken chili, but there are times when you want chili and don’t want to wait. Chili with sweet potatoes can be ready in about an hour. There’s a sweet and spicy combination with the sweet coming from sweet potatoes, pumpkin and apple cider.
You can substitute chicken or turkey for beef for a healthier meal. No beans in this version. of course you can add them if you like beans in chili. Chili with sweet potatoes has tons of flavor without beans and without needing to simmer all day.
Why you’ll love chili with sweet potatoes
- This is a bean free version of chili
- It’s a great way to incorporate pumpkin and sweet potatoes in one dish
- This is a hearty meal that will fill you up that has veggies and doesn’t need additional sides
- You can freeze individual portions of chili to have lunch on another day – it reheats beautifully
This needs to cook just long enough for the sweet potatoes to soften but not too long or they’ll be mush. If you cut them small you can be done in 30 minutes, large chunks will take about 45 minutes.
It’s full of fall flavors from not only the sweet potatoes but the pumpkin and apple cider. It still has enough of a kick from a jalapeno and chili powder to remind you that you’re eating chili but not so much that your eyes are watering.
What you’ll need
This dish has several ingredients, but you probably have most in your pantry.
- Ground beef – this recipe would be a little healthier and just as tasty with ground turkey or chicken
- Fresh ingredients – onion, garlic, jalapeno
- Sweet potatoes – you will cook them in the pot, so they are easy to use in this recipe, you don’t even have to peel them.
- Spice mixture – cinnamon, coriander, chili powder,
- Pumpkin puree – unless you have previously baked up some fresh pumpkin puree from a baking pumpkin, also known as a sugar pumpkin, then you can use a can of pumpkin puree.
- Apple cider and chicken broth – these liquids infused with flavor will give your chili more depth.
- Diced tomatoes – fire roasted tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes will work in this recipe.
- Brown sugar – this is optional, but just 1 tablespoon cuts the acid from the tomatoes.
Step by step directions for chili with sweet potatoes
Step 1: In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the meat with the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Add sweet potatoes and seasoning and cook until the sweet potato is starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the liquid ingredients along with the pumpkin puree and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and let it cook until the sweet potatoes have softened but not so long that they are mushy. The time will depend on how big the sweet potato chunks are, about 30-45 minutes.
This is great for using up leftover pumpkin, it just takes a half a cup. It only takes a cup of apple cider so you’ll have enough to make apple cider muffins.
Pro Tip: To help speed up preparing this bowl of delicious comfort food, be sure to dice your sweet potatoes into really small chunks so they saute and cook quickly in the remaining tomato and apple cider mixture.
It’s 72 degrees in the Carolinas in the middle of December, so not exactly chili weather. However, last week it was in the high 20’s for my early morning runs, so I’m sure this won’t last and we’ll be ready for chili again at some point. My freezer always has individual servings of chili, it’s my favorite for lunch. This freezes great and is just as good re-heated.
The family review on apple cider chili
What to serve with chili
FAQ’s and tips
Yes, there are a variety of health benefits in incorporating sweet potatoes into your diet. They are rich in minerals, vitamins and fiber. They also help to promote good gut health and may support your immune system due to the beta-carotene it has.
Chili, like stew, has solid food cooked in liquid ingredients but unlike stew does not require a thickener.
Chili con carne, translated to chili with meat, is often prepared the same as chili as you know it, exchanging in and out ingredients that the preparer likes and doesn’t such as kidney and pinto beans, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, jalapenos and cumin.
This is great with beef, chicken or turkey. It has so much flavor from the other ingredients that no one will be able to tell which meat you’ve chosen.
The time will depend on the size of the sweet potato chunks. If small it will take about 30 to 45 minutes. Cut them smaller if you are in a crunch for time.
Sweet Potato chili freezes great and is even better re-heated.
More chili recipes you’ll love
Satisfy your sweet tooth with dessert after a bowl of comfort food
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Chili with Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato diced, about 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, ground beef, garlic and jalapeño. Cook until meat is browned and cooked through.
- Chop sweet potatoes into ½ inch cubes. Add to chili with salt, cinnamon, coriander, chili powder and chipotle powder. Cook about 5 minutes until sweet potato softens slightly.
- Add chicken broth, cider, pumpkin and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until sweet potatoes are softened but not mushy, about 30-45 minutes.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- You can substitute ground chicken or turkey for the beef.
- You can add a can oof kidney beans when you add the chicken broth if desired
- You can freeze this.
- If you are in a hurry, dice the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces.