How to make cornbread in an ovenproof skillet
What to serve with Brown Butter Cornbread
Brown Butter Cornbread
Southern cooking is at its best in this Brown Butter Cornbread recipe using fresh corn and sour cream. Make it sweet with something unexpected. A guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: bread
- 8 tablespoons butter – divided
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream, 14 ounces
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat in an iron skillet. Add corn and maple syrup and saute, stirring until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, egg, sugar and baking soda. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the corn mixture.
5. In the same skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. (make sure all corn kernels have been removed). Cook the butter until it is golden brown. Remove from heat and add batter to the skillet, even out the surface with a spatula.
6. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 10-15 minutes.