Baked Peach Chicken Taquitos are both sweet and savory, a great way to feature peaches, fresh or frozen. Don’t forget the yogurt chipotle topping for an interesting kick. A Quick, Easy and Delicious weeknight dinner.
A friend’s family and my family always try to get together at or around Christmas where we cook a themed dinner. Last year it was Italian and this year we decided to try Tex-Mex. I had experimented with this baked peach chicken taquitos when fresh peaches were abundant and wanted to try it out again on my gang to see if it would be good enough for our dinner. These were as just as good as I remembered and my picky eaters all loved them.
What is a taquito
Can you use frozen peaches in Baked Peach Taquitos
The first time I made these I had fresh peaches. However, in the middle of winter, frozen peaches work just fine. The peaches and mild onions combine for the perfect sweet and savory combination. I added sriracha to the chicken mixture to give it a kick, but the real heat comes form the yogurt chipotle topping. If you really likes things spicy, add some jalapeños to the mixture.
How do you make baked taquitos
Sauté some onions in a skillet. Add rotisserie chicken, peaches and sriracha and cook in the skillet for about 5 minutes. Add some cheese.
Place your chicken peach mixture into a tortilla and form into rolls.
Brush with olive oil, salt and bake. I sprinkled some ground chipotle powder on top, but that’s optional.
Mix some chipotle peppers with yogurt for an amazing sauce.
This has a little cheese but it’s not overwhelming and you could even leave it out. The outside is slightly crunchy and salty. What’s nice is that it isn’t messy. You can eat one with your fingers without any drippy runny sauce oozing out.
I’ll be making the chicken mixture in advance for our Tex-Mex dinner and assemble just before everyone arrives, leaving more time to enjoy margaritas.
More Tex-Mex recipes
Baked Peach Chicken Taquitos
- 2 chicken breasts from rotissere chicken shredded
- 1 medium vidalia onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh peaches peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon srirachi sauce
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- 9 6 inch flour tortillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for brushing
- ½ teaspoon salt for sprinkling
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3-4 chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Spray a large glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet. Toss with onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until they are soft, translucent, and start to caramelize.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the onions. Add the peaches and srirachi or jalapeño pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste.
- Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of mixture into each tortilla and roll up and place in prepared pan. Brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes until the tops are crisp and golden.
- While cooking, mix yogurt and peppers in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Serve with the taquitos.
Barbara's Tips + Notes