When cooking for friends, I want to enjoy their company but also have amazing food to serve. I try to plan a menu so that I can do almost everything in advance. I recently had a large group over at the last minute and didn’t want to spend any time in the kitchen cooking, so along with Carnitas that I made in the slow cooker, I served this simple but brilliant salad. I prepared it in the morning and just added the dressing before we were ready to eat. The broccoli was crisp and I loved the sweetness from the dried cranberries and the savory from the red onions. You also get a little smoky salty flavor thrown in the mix with bacon.
My favorite part of the salad is the dressing. I used Siggi’s brand yogurt which I think has the best flavor without being too tangy. Along with mayonnaise you’ll add some honey. Most broccoli salad has sugar in the dressing but the honey adds so much more flavor.
How to make Broccoli Salad
- Par boil the broccoli for 1 minute for the perfect texture
- Add the fixings and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Prepare dressing and toss right before serving
What else could you take to a Potluck
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake
- Fluffy Dinner Rolls
- Cornbread Corn Pudding
- Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole
More SALAD ideas
- Strawberry spinach
- Oranges and burrata
- Honey fruit salad
- Coleslaw with peaches
- Roasted potato salad
- Cucumber and corn
- Tomato and zucchini
- 2 heads Broccoli
- ½ cup red onion
- 2-3 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese cubed
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt Siggis
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- black pepper
- Separate broccoli into bite size florets. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Have a large bowl filled with ice water ready. Add broccoli to boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Take out and immediately place in ice bath for 5 minutes. Drain and place in bowl.
- Add onion, bacon, cranberries, cheese and sunflower seeds to the broccoli and combine.
- For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients and toss with the broccoli.