Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Crisped Capers, a healthy and delicious way to eat your veggies. A quick and EASY addition to any meal.
I thought I would end the year with something healthy but still pretty yummy, roasted cauliflower steaks. I struggle with finding something interesting to do with vegetables. While cauliflower is good raw, I really like it best roasted. Some people, (Natalie) won’t eat cauliflower and can’t even stand the smell of it roasting, their loss and more for me. So this year for the Holidays, Mike found a recipe for me from the Wall Street Journal where you roast it with capers.
The recipe calls for slicing the cauliflower into steaks, which worked perfect the first time I tried it but not so well the second time. I think it all depends on the head of cauliflower. But don’t stress out if you don’t get perfect slices, the cauliflower is delicious regardless of the shape. Both times I ended up with a few steak like pieces and the rest was just florets.
How do you make roasted cauliflower steaks with crisped capers
Step 1: Cut the cauliflower into 1 inch slices starting in the middle of the head of cauliflower. Sprinkle with olive oil and cook in a skillet on each side until golden brown. Remove to a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 2: Add capers to the oil in the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour the oil and capers over the cauliflower and roast for 10-15 minutes.
What’s nice about this recipe is that you can sauté the cauliflower ahead of time, and then just put it in the oven to bake when you’re ready to serve it.
More healthy sides
- Broccoli salad
- Peach Coleslaw
- Apple salad
- Cucumber and corn salad
- Green beans with bacon
- Orange and mozzarella salad
- Roasted asparagus
- Roasted carrots
- Spinach and Strawberry salad
- Roasted corn
- Zucchini salad
Caramelized Cauliflower Steaks with Crisped Capers
- 1 head Cauliflower
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup capers rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Starting in the center, cut cauliflower into 1-inch steaks. There will be some loose pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brush both sides of steak with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, Add to the skillet and cook single layer until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- After cauliflower has been removed, add capers to oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour oil and capers over cauliflower. Bake for 10-15 minutes.