Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes are my family’s all time favorite dessert, comfort food at it’s best. These indulgent chocolate cupcakes are great for bake-sales, care packages or birthday parties. No frosting needed.
I was first introduced to these chocolate cream cheese cupcakes from my college roommate’s mom. She called them chocolate muffins and would mail them to her and Debbie would generously share them with us. I was lucky enough that her mom shared the recipe with me and I have been making them for 40 some years.
What’s great about these cupcakes is that they are perfect without frosting. While more of a cupcake than a muffin because of the decadent, rich batter, the original name has always stuck in our house. These are also called black bottom cupcakes.
These are so moist and the cheesecake filling with chocolate chips makes these my all time favorite.
When you bite into the cupcake you’ll get a cheesecake filling that goes great with the moist chocolate cupcake. Both are delicious by themselves, but combined are even better.
Why you’ll love them
- Chocolate and cheesecake are a great combination.
- No need for frosting.
- They freeze great.
- You can make them mini for an afternoon snack.
What you’ll need
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – use an unsweetened, good quality cocoa like Ghirardelli.
- Cream cheese – make sure it has softened to room temperature to make it easier to spread.
- Chocolate chips – if you make mini muffins, use mini chocolate chips instead of regular.
- Pantry staples – sugar, flour, egg, vanilla, white vinegar, oil, salt and baking soda
How do you make chocolate cream cheese cupcakes
In a large bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together.
Combine water, oil and vanilla and pour it into the dry ingredients whisking until just smooth.
With a hand mixer, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar and add chocolate chips.
Add chocolate mixture to muffin tins and top with a spoonful of cream cheese mixture and bake.
They are perfect for taking to school parties or soccer games and great to ship off to a college student. You can’t really mess these up. It’s nice to have a recipe that you know will turn out great even if you’re having a bad baking day or making them last minute.
Credit goes to Debbie Hudgins’ mom for this Curry family favorite.
FAQ and tips
Chocolate and cream cheese both freeze perfectly. The mini ones don’t take long to thaw at all if you need a pick me up in the afternoon. To ship, freeze them first.
Chocolate Cupcakes are perfect made in a miniature muffin tin. If making them mini, try using miniature chocolate chips so you get some chocolate chips in each one. I actually prefer them in mini muffin tins because you can just grab one for a little indulgence.
Cream cheese cupcakes need to be refrigerated where they will last 2-3 days before starting to dry out. You can freeze for a couple of months in an airtight container.
In the mood for muffins and cupcakes
More chocolate recipes
- Try some easy S’more Bars for a chocolate rice cereal treat
- Is it the holidays, then try Peppermint Fudge
- Or throw together a batch of Cookie Dough Brownies
- Need a decadent dessert, you’ll love Flourless Chocolate Cake
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line or spray 18 muffin tins.
Chocolate Batter Instructions
- Whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Blend water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth and spoon into muffins tins.
Cream Cheese Filling Instructions
- Beat cream cheese, ⅓ cup sugar, and egg with an electric mixer. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon on top of the cupcakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 18 cupcakes or 60 mini cupcakes. If making mini cupcakes, bake for about 12-15 minutes and use mini chocolate chips.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- These freeze well and can be shipped unless it’s really hot outside.
- Muffin liners aren’t required but certainly help with clean up.
- If making mini cupcakes, use mini chocolate chips and about 1 teaspoon of filling per cupcake.