Chocolate Muffins are my family’s all time favorite dessert, comfort food at it’s best. This chocolate cupcake is great for bake-sales or care packages or birthday parties. It’s a no-fail recipe of rich chocolate with a cheesecake and chocolate chip filling. These can’t be beat.
This recipe for Chocolate Muffins, came from my college roommate’s mom. She would mail them to her and Debbie would generously share them with us. I was lucky enough that her mom shared the recipe with me and now I have been making them for 30 some years. I especially like them because they are perfect without frosting. While more of a cupcake than a muffin, the original name has always stuck in our house. They are super moist and the cheesecake filling with chocolate chips makes these my all time favorite.
What ingredients do you need for chocolate cupcakes
You probably have most of the ingredients for these in your pantry. It calls for the basics, flour, sugar, baking soda, vanilla and an egg and then a few extras. You will need white vinegar, cocoa powder, cream cheese and chocolate chips. Cupcake liners are handy but you can get by without them.
How do you make homemade Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Step 1: Whisk your dry ingredients together.
Step 2: Combine water, oil and vanilla and pour it into the dry ingredients whisking until just smooth.
Step 3: With a hand mixer, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar and add chocolate chips.
Step 4: Add chocolate mixture to muffin tins and top with a spoonful of cream cheese mixture and bake.
They are perfect for taking to school parties or soccer games and great to ship off to a college student. You can’t really mess these up. It’s nice to have a recipe that you know will turn out great even if you’re having a bad baking day or making them last minute.
Can you make these in mini muffin tins
Chocolate Muffins are perfect made in a miniature muffin tin. If making them mini, try using miniature chocolate chips so you get some chocolate chips in each one. I actually prefer them in mini muffin tins because you can just grab one for a little indulgence.
Can you freeze chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese filling
Chocolate and cream cheese both freeze perfectly. The mini ones don’t take long to thaw at all if you need a pick me up in the afternoon. When I ship these, I freeze them first and place them in a plastic container for shipping.
So credit goes to Debbie Hudgins’ mom for this Curry family favorite.
In the mood for more CUPCAKES
- Get in the fall spirit with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- If your looking for a frosted cupcake, this cinnamon frosting on Banana Carrot Cake Cupcakes is fabulous
- Or try a stuff cupcake with Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
MORE CHOCOLATE recipes
- Try some easy S’more Bars for a chocolate rice cereal treat
- Is it the holidays, then try Peppermint Fudge
- Need a decadent dessert, you’ll love Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Or throw together a batch of Cookie Dough Brownies
If you make Chocolate Muffins, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweet cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line or spray 18 muffin tins.
- Whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Blend water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth and spoon into muffins tins.
- Beat cream cheese, ⅓ cup sugar, and egg with an electric mixer. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon on top of the cupcakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 18 cupcakes or 60 mini cupcakes. If making mini cupcakes, bake for about 12-15 minutes and use mini chocolate chips.