Black bottom cupcakes are a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of chocolate and cream cheese. These cupcakes have a rich, moist chocolate base with a creamy, tangy cheesecake filling sprinkled with chocolate chips. No frosting needed. They’re my family’s favorite cupcake!
These indulgent chocolate cupcakes are great for bake-sales, care packages or birthday parties. No frosting needed so they will travel well and turn out perfect every time.
I was first introduced to these chocolate cream cheese cupcakes, or black bottom cupcakes from my college roommate’s mom. She called them chocolate muffins and would mail these rich chocolate cupcakes to her and she would generously share them with us.
I was lucky enough that her mom shared the recipe with me and I have been making them for 40 some years now and every batch has turned out perfectly, even on those late nights when your kids tell you they need to bring a dessert to school the next day. 🤪
What’s great about this recipe for black bottom cupcakes is that they are scrumptious without frosting. While more of a cupcake than a muffin because of the decadent rich batter, the original name has always stuck in our house although most people call them black bottom cupcakes due to the layering of chocolate and cream cheese.
There have been times when I’ve frosted them, but seriously they don’t need it. If you want to frost them use the cream cheese frosting that I use on this chocolate cream cheese cake.
These are so moist and the cheesecake filling with chocolate chips makes them one of my all time favorite desserts. If you love the filling, and want more, go with a berry cheesecake bar, all the cheesecake flavor but in manageable bar.
When you bite into the cupcake you’ll get a cheesecake filling that goes great with the moist chocolate cupcake. Both are delicious by themselves, but combined are even better. While I’m not a huge fan of chocolate, these along with chocolate cobbler are the exception for me.
Why you’ll love black and white cupcakes
- Chocolate and cheesecake are a great combination.
- No need for frosting.
- They freeze great.
- You can make them mini for an afternoon snack.
Ingredients that you’ll need for cream cheese cupcakes
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – use an unsweetened, good quality cocoa like Ghirardelli.
- Cream cheese – make sure it has softened to room temperature to make it easier to spread.
- White vinegar – this might seem like an odd ingredient to add to cupcakes but it helps them rise when it reacts with the baking soda.
- Chocolate chips – you can use any type, dark, milk or semi-sweet. If you make mini muffins, use mini chocolate chips instead of regular.
- Pantry staples – sugar, flour, egg, vanilla, vegetable oil, salt and baking soda
How do you make black bottom cupcakes
Step 1: whisk
In a large bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together.
Step 2: pour
Combine water, oil and vanilla and pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients whisking until just smooth.
Step 3: mix
With a hand mixer, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar and add chocolate chips.
Step 4: assemble
Add the chocolate batter to muffin tins with paper liners and add a spoon full of cream cheese mixture to the center of each cupcake and bake.
Let them cool on a wire rack before eating and keep refrigerated due to the cheesecake filling.
They are perfect for taking to school parties or soccer games and great to ship off to a college student. You can’t really mess these up. It’s nice to have a recipe that you know will turn out great even if you’re having a bad baking day or making them last minute.
Credit goes to Debbie Hudgins’ mom for this Curry family favorite.
What is the best way to ship cupcakes
Since these have a cream cheese filling, you will need to ship next day delivery, that will get them there in a day or two. Before shipping, freeze them in a freezer bag and then place the freezer bag in a disposable airtight container. This will protect them during the shipping process. Starting out frozen, will keep them from getting too melty while they ship.
I would not recommend shipping these to a very hot climate or in the middle of summer.
Common questions about chocolate cream cheese cupcakes
Chocolate and cream cheese both freeze perfectly. The mini ones don’t take long to thaw at all if you need a pick me up in the afternoon. To ship, freeze them first.
Chocolate Cupcakes are perfect made in a miniature muffin tin. If making them mini, try using miniature chocolate chips so you get some chocolate chips in each one. I actually prefer them in mini muffin tins because you can just grab one for a little indulgence.
Cream cheese cupcakes need to be refrigerated where they will last 2-3 days before starting to dry out. You can freeze for a couple of months in an airtight container.
More muffins and cupcakes to try
In the mood for chocolate?
- Try some easy S’more Bars for a chocolate rice cereal treat
- Is it the holidays, then try Peppermint Fudge
- Or throw together a batch of Cookie Dough Brownies
- Need a decadent dessert, you’ll love a Flourless Chocolate Cake
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line or spray 18 muffin tins.
Chocolate Batter Instructions
- Whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Blend water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth and spoon into muffins tins.
Cream Cheese Filling Instructions
- Beat cream cheese, ⅓ cup sugar, and egg with an electric mixer. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon on top of the cupcakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 18 cupcakes or 60 mini cupcakes. If making mini cupcakes, bake for about 12-15 minutes and use mini chocolate chips.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- These freeze well and can be shipped unless it’s really hot outside.
- Muffin liners aren’t required but certainly help with clean up.
- If making mini cupcakes, use mini chocolate chips and about 1 teaspoon of filling per cupcake.