Flourless Chocolate Cake
Looking for a fabulous dessert that is not quite so sweet, then you are gong to love this rich, decadent, flourless chocolate cake, You’ll never guess what makes the topping spectacular.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for top of cake
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly butter a springform pan and dust with sugar.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate, oil, and butter. Microwave on medium power until melted, about 2 minutes, stirring every 3o seconds.
3. Separate 4 eggs into 2 bowls. To the bowl with the yolks, add cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, ¼ cup sugar and the remaining 2 whole eggs. Whisk until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and whisk until blended.
4. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add ¼ cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the chocolate mixture in two batches, folding just until combined. Pour into prepared pan and top with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake until the top is cracked and the cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan, about 35-45 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before removing the sides.
6. For the topping, combine all ingredients and beat until soft peaks form. Place on cooled cake.