Green Beans with Bacon and Onions will transform a simple side dish into a FABULOUS one. Great for when you want to jazz up your vegetables. Love this for the holidays when you need to add something healthy to your dinner menu.
Green beans are one of the green vegetables that everyone in my family will eat, especially green beans with bacon and onions. And while summer is the best time to find them, our groceries always have fresh ones as it gets close to the holidays. I love all green vegetables except Brussel sprouts, (don’t try to convince me that they’re delicious when slow roasted with bacon and sugar, I still don’t like them) but others in my family are a little pickier. For some reason they all like green beans even if I just steam them.
I discovered that while they’re great with just butter, if you first cook some bacon and onions and then use the same pan to steam the green beans, the flavor seeps right into the beans themselves.
How do you cook green beans with bacon and onions
Step 1: Start by cooking the chopped bacon until brown then remove it to a plate.
Step 2: In the same skillet, sauté the onion and when soft, remove it to the plate with the bacon.
Step 3: Add the green beans to the skillet with a little water, cover and steam the beans. Then add the bacon and onions back and serve.
So easy and delicious and you only use one pan. So when it’s time for your holiday meal and you feel that you need at least one dish that is on the healthier side, try this fabulous side. They’re also a great for a weeknight dinner because you’ll find that the flavors compliment almost any main dish.
What goes good with green beans
- Pork tenderloin
- Roasted chicken
- Short ribs
- Steak Marsala
- Lemon chicken
- Chicken meatballs
- Queso chicken
- Pork Ragu
More sides you’ll love
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Cheesy broccoli casserole
- Roasted asparagus
- Cauliflower roasted with raisins
- Carrots with vinaigrette
- Squash in parchment
- Skillet corn
Adapted from Cooks Country 2018
Green Beans with Bacon and Onions
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs green beans
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- In a large skillet with a lid, cook bacon until crisp, 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of grease. Add sliced onions, sugar and salt and pepper and cook until onion is soft and has started to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and stir to combine. At water, garlic and salt. Increase heat to medium high and cover, stirring occasionally until the water has evaporated and beans are slightly soft, about 5-8 minutes. Remove lid and cook until they are slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Top with crisped bacon.
I have no picture, but there were none left! Everyone loved this dish! Thanks ☺
Barbara Curry says
Bacon makes everything better.