To make the syrup all you have to do is boil down two cups of pomegranate juice. You will then coat the apples with the syrup along with some sugar and a little flour for thickening. The tart juice is just right with apples. I used Fiji but choose the ones that you like the best.
Once the apples are coated, I just made a biscuit type dough and dropped it on the top, sprinkled with some sugar and baked it.
When ready to serve, add whipped cream or ice cream and top with the pomegranate seeds. The cool crunch from the seeds with the warm gooey apples is the perfect contrast.
Apple Pomegranate Cobbler
Combine tart pomegranate juice with Fall apples for this amazing Apple Pomegranate Cobbler. Topped with a light biscuit dough and sprinkled with fresh pomegranate seeds, this is the BEST apple combination I’ve found. Great for your Holiday feast or potluck.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: dessert
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 lbs apples, 6 apples
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 ¼ cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- demerara sugar
- pomegranate seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Set aside a 9 x 13 inch baking dish placed on top of a rimmed baking pan.
2. In a saucepan bring pomegranate juice to a boil and cook down until it becomes syrupy and is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
3. While it is cooking, peel and slice apples into 1/2 inch slices and place in a bowl. Pour reduced pomegranate juice over the apples. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to apples and combine. Pour into baking dish.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add cold butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the crumbs are pea size. Add cold cream and gently stir to combine. Scatter the dough over the top of the apples.
5. Brush the to of the dough with cream and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
6. Bake for 60-70 minutes until the filling is bubbly. Cover with foil when the top is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and top with whip cream or ice cream.
I used Fiji apples.