How to use an Instant Pot:
Once the sauce is thickened, add the chicken and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes. You’ll need to wait for the pressure to release naturally which will take about 15 minutes, so factor that in. Once the pressure has released, take the chicken out and shred it while you turn the Instant Pot back to the sauté function and let the sauce thicken again.
Place your sauce infused chicken on a biscuit or roll and cover it with the slightly sweet and smokey sauce. It’s also great inside a tortilla with some cheese and avocado or your favorite taco toppings. Or just eat it plain.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken
Barbecue chicken made in an Instant Pot is a simple and easy way to get slow-cooker chicken in no time. No planning needed, and prep is a snap.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 ½ lbs Boneless and skinless chicken, breasts/thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1. Season the chicken with salt and let sit while you prepare the sauce.
2. Set the Instant Pot to the saute function. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire, chipotle chile, vinegar and garlic. Stir in seasons and simmer until it has thickened and turns into a paste, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken. Cover and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
4. Remove chicken and turn the pot onto saute again and simmer until it has thickened about 5-10 minutes. Once thickened, shred the chicken and add the sauce to the top for serving.
5. You can use prepared BBQ sauce in place of this version.