How do you make this salted chocolate chip shortbread recipe
Most cookies are easy to make and are pretty forgiving if you aren’t an experienced baker. These have just a few steps, but you will need at least a hand mixer.
Step 1: Beat the butter and sugar together until it’s light and fluffy. This will take a couple of minutes. Then add the flour and vanilla and then the chocolate.
I used a good quality baking bar that I chopped into different sized chunks. By having some chunks larger than others, you get some gooey chocolate bites and some bites that are just buttery goodness. Don’t make the chunks too big though or it will be difficult to slice.
Step 2: Divide the dough in half and form into two logs. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze for 30 minutes. These are even better if you can refrigerate overnight.
What is Demerara Sugar
The most common sugar is granulated white sugar which is a refined sugar that has been processed to remove the molasses. Brown sugar has the molasses added back in. But there are lots of other sugars out there that are great to use for desserts and baked goods. Demerara is one of my favorites. It is a minimally refined raw sugar with large crystals and a light brown color.
Turbinado sugar is very similar. Another option with a stronger molasses flavor is Muscovado. It is an unrefined raw sugar that has not had the molasses removed. It’s great to use when you want a stronger molasses flavor like in barbeque sauces. Another option you will see is Sanding sugar which is a large clear crystal that will not melt when heated so it’s ideal for decorating cookies and cakes. You can generally find these in the baking aisle.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Tips for making the BEST chocolate chip cookies
- Use SALTED butter
- Use a good quality chocolate
- Keep the chocolate chunks small so that it’s easier to slice the cookies
- Refrigerate overnight if possible
- Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a little flaky sea salt
These cookies did not stay around the house long, everyone loved this variation of a traditional chocolate chip cookie. We loved them so much that for the Super Bowl, I made mini ones to use for markers for our Super Bowl bingo. The mini ones are also great to give as gifts, just the right size for a sweet treat. We made two batches of minis for Natalie to give to her friends.
Why you should make chocolate chip shortbread cookies
- They are easy to make
- You can make them mini and everything this better mini
- Perfect to give as a gift for a hostess, teacher, or just for a friend
- It only requires a few ingredients
- You can have the dough in the freezer for a make-ahead treat
More Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes
- Our go-to recipes for chocolate chip cookies with browned butter
- Decadent chocolate chip cookies with grated chocolate
- Add some potato chips and toffee to your chocolate chip cookies
- Make them into chocolate chip tarts
If you make Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 18 tablespoons SALTED butter room temp
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate cut into chunks
- 1 egg beaten
- Demerara sugar
- flaky sea salt
- With an electric mixer beat both sugars and butter until light and fluffy, mix in vanilla. Add flour and mix until combined. Add chunks of chocolate and mix just until combined.
- Divide dough in half and place each on plastic wrap. Shape each into a 2 ½ inch log. Wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours or longer until it is firm, or 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Brush the outside of the logs with beaten egg and roll in Demerara sugar. Slice into ½ inch rounds and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until just beginning to brown, if mini cookies, 10-12 minutes.
- Makes 32 large cookies or 145 mini cookies